Country Blues > Super Electrical Recordings!

Third Man / Paramount Box Set Sale

(1/3) > >>

Stuart:
If you've been sitting on the fence and have a spare five bills, now might be the moment:

http://thirdmanstore.com/reissues/paramount-records/the-rise-and-fall-of-paramount-records-volume-1-volume-2-bundle

Blues Vintage:
Is it worth the money? For those who have it.

Gilgamesh:
Worth taking the risk, I guess. I ordered them last year. Vol. 2 arrived with no vinyls or posters. They did send replacements after I emailed them, but to pay that much for a product they can't be bothered to package correctly is not encouraging. The music is good and I like the "radio" software that comes with it (it plays songs from the box at random).

The book to Vol. 1 will amaze you. Vol. 2 is a lesser effort.

Stuart:
$500 for 1600 songs comes out to .3125 a song, which is reasonable when compared to individual or CD download prices. There are probably cases where downloads and/or CD tracks are cheaper, for example the JSP sets, but it's apples vs. oranges as the Third Man sets are limited to Paramount tracks. Plus, there are the extras included in the sets.

I think it's a matter of what one's budget allows and one's level of interest. If you have the bucks and you find the music compelling, then why not? On the other hand, if money's tight, then one has to be more selective and disciplined--and there's always YouTube for what's available there.

TenBrook:
If you're a fan of full aesthetic experiences (images, textures, fonts, words, sounds, ineffable others) I highly recommend both volumes. The notes are wonderful, the books are extremely well done both graphically and literarily. The LPs are great and the access to all the many many tracks and images through the computer interface is a really wonderful way to explore not just the history of Paramount but the history of the wide ranging sounds that were waxed in the 1920s and 30s. It's obviously expensive but to me immersing myself in the world they created in those sets was worth the price. But then again I've got a slight money spending problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version