collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Now why don't you do something from your neck of the woods? - Carl Rutherford, to Mick Knight, Port Townsend 98

Author Topic: Tunings in the round  (Read 976 times)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Tunings in the round
« on: March 06, 2012, 05:40:26 PM »
I'd like to start a category page on weeniepedia covering all the different tunings, and how to get into them. This would allow us to assemble generalized, comprehensive tuning info and link to it easily from other weeniepedia pages and category pages, without continually reexplaining a tuning in short form.

I'm by no means an expert in this area, particularly once it gets away from big 4, Spanish, Vestapol, Drop-D, and Bentonia minor. Lately I've been exploring Half Spanish.

So since it's always good to link weeniepedia items back to a forum thread, and the forum creates such a good channel for collecting info, I thought I'd start a topic devoted to tunings, in the round.

What other tuning are there in the country blues genre and its near relatives, who used them, and on what songs? If you have some good chord shapes, particularly the I, IV, V, II, VI, VII etc, and moveable shapes, to throw into the mix, fabulous. Tunings sometimes have multiple names, c.f. Spanish / Open G / Open A,  be sure to mention them.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 05:48:35 PM by Rivers »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Tunings in the round
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 06:34:27 PM »
If by Bentonia minor you mean DADFAD (i.e. open D minor or open E minor etc if tuned higher), we've gone with Cross-Note tuning for that one in Weeniepedia and the existing Adventures in Cross-Note thread. All four tunings you mention, as well as EAEGBE tuning, have their own threads discussing the tunings and listing songs/artists.

I added the "tunings" tag to those threads to pull those out in the tags here.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 08:58:12 PM by uncle bud »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 07:16:01 PM »
Yep, I'd forgotten we'd agreed on the primary term we'd use for referring to the Skip / Jack tuning around here. I was thinking we should wrangle-up all the other names for the same thing, since they are all in common use, and a lot of folks would not have been party to those discussions.

The tagging is really useful, and kind of reflects what I had in mind. I omitted to mention variations on standard tuning, per O'Muck's thread, which shows up on the tunings tag.

My impulse is to bring them all together into one place both for newbies and also experienced players, and hopefully add some more value by developing the chord vocabulary and nomenclature  for each, hence the 'in the round' title.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 07:33:25 PM by Rivers »

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 04:06:26 AM »
Further to my post in Why try and sing and play like Charlie Patton or Bukka White?, I've read the relevant weeniepedia page and am currently exploring the posts in the related discussion thread.
My reason for posting here is that I'm wondering how far the acceptance and adopted use of the term "Cross-Note" has progressed; how do other people refer to it? I notice that Mr. Grossman uses the term in some of his publications. Will "Cross-Note" become an industry-standard term, do you think?

P.S. There's the explanation: in JohnM's reply, right at the bottom of page 1.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 05:51:03 AM by Stumblin »

Tags: tunings 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal