collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Hurt would introduce 'Coffee Blues' by declaring that his favorite coffee was Maxwell House because it was 'good till the last drop.' This is the kind of song that comes with a wink and a nudge. At the Gaslight, the mug Hurt would bring to the stage was not filled with coffee, but with a spot of whiskey. - John Milward, notes from Mississippi John Hurt, The Complete Studio Recordings

Author Topic: Johnson & Shines photo "authenticated!"  (Read 37810 times)

Offline doctorpep

Re: New 3rd picture of Robert Johnson ?
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2011, 08:51:32 PM »
The man on the left looks more like B.B. King than Robert Johnson. The man on the right is not Johnny Shines- 100% guaranteed.

The man on the left has a circular face with high cheekbones, like a young Muddy Waters or a person from East Asia. The man in the famous RJ cigarette picture (RJ!) doesn't have such high cheekbones, and has a broader, less flattering, "flatter" nose than the handsome, young, catfish-like gentleman in Vanity Fair.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 08:56:57 PM by doctorpep »
"There ain't no Heaven, ain't no burning Hell. Where I go when I die, can't nobody tell."

http://www.hardluckchild.blogspot.com/

Offline CF

« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2011, 08:55:36 PM »
I think maybe a lot of modern folk think that black men in old photos all look the same. Or at least that really seems the case to me.

I suppose that could be the case, but I think it's more the human tendency, when confronted with an old photograph, to want it to be of some famous person or time or place - for it to have significance to something they know about.

DJ . . . I like your explanation better.
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Richard

• Global Moderator
  • Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2011, 12:03:12 PM »
I'd second dj, but then of course he's a CBW fan  ;D
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline jumbo shrimp pete munroe

« Reply #108 on: March 04, 2011, 01:41:30 AM »
That's the one I was talking about in my edited to add part. That guy does not look like Robert Johnson. I've said this elsewhere & got in shit for it but . . . I think maybe a lot of modern folk think that black men in old photos all look the same. Or at least that really seems the case to me.

This stuff is fascinating when people who know the difference use methods & experience to make educated comments on historical material. It's depressing that anybody can find a vintage shot & baldly claim they are such & such a historical figure (& just happen to be that person's ONLY reference to the era) & the majority take it as gospel . . . as if every picture we find today necessarily HAS to be of or related to our small frame of reference. I find it very embarrassing, obviously  ::)

no, I'm sorry, but the guy with the white hat tilted looks like a dead ringer for RJ. So much so I think the pic is a fake. I take offense to anyone saying that i think all black folk look alike too. I mean, that sure as shine isn't Johnny Shines in that fake RJ pic.

but as far as the pic I have in question, was it bought? anyone know? Hell if it isn't him, where's the pic now? i want it.

sorry if i seem rude.

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
« Reply #109 on: March 04, 2011, 03:34:25 AM »
no, I'm sorry, but the guy with the white hat tilted looks like a dead ringer for RJ. So much so I think the pic is a fake. I take offense to anyone saying that i think all black folk look alike too. I mean, that sure as shine isn't Johnny Shines in that fake RJ pic.
but as far as the pic I have in question, was it bought? anyone know? Hell if it isn't him, where's the pic now? i want it.
sorry if i seem rude.
Fakery is a possibility.
However, the real clues only come to light when you play the photograph at half speed.
 O0

Offline pixelpusher

« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2011, 08:59:23 AM »
hey jumbo pete...

I think the picture you're referring to is different from the 2 official/accepted ones in 2 ways:  no lazy/sad left eye, and the guy's nose seems to be shorter, nostrils going up, a little pig-like if you will...  fwiw..

[By the way, off topic... hope everybody's taken a look at the Hank Williams doc on youtube... the one from the BBC.  Same sad story what coulda been.  Anyhow, lots of great archival footage...]

Offline Richard

• Global Moderator
  • Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #111 on: March 07, 2011, 12:19:53 PM »
Errr..
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline jumbo shrimp pete munroe

« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2011, 06:45:58 PM »
back again. What I want to know is if the pic of the man in the white tilted hat is a fake. Because otherwise, it's RJ for sure.

Look at the pic on page one then look at the pic from the boxset. same guy. So if that pic is real....

Offline Stumblin

« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2011, 04:17:44 PM »
Not having been personally acquainted with either of the blokes in the photo under discussion, and thus unfamiliar with their distinctive mannerisms and facial expressions etc. All I can say is that either party in that photograph either could or could not be Robert Johnson. The expense and concomitant rarity of photography amongst underprivileged communities in pre-digital camera times, combined with the size of the African-American population during the early thirties makes it unlikely that any randomly selected photograph of musicians from that period will include both Johnny Shines and Robert Johnson.

Offline Stumblin

Johnson & Shines photo "authenticated!"
« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2013, 01:35:57 AM »
The Guardian is today offering the unsubstantiated suggestion that the much disputed "Robert Johnson & Johhny Shines" phot has been "authenticated." However, a close reading of the accompanying journalistic screed reveals a complete absence of anything approaching the status of evidence.

Offline CF

Re: Johnson & Shines photo "authenticated!"
« Reply #115 on: February 04, 2013, 04:50:47 AM »
Don't get me started.
Some folks at the Real blues forum on Facebook are working on a letter voicing their contention that it's not Robert Johnson or Shines. Getty Images just purchased the photo so it's making its rounds again.

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2013, 04:55:28 AM »
Zzzzzzzz......

Offline jostber

« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2013, 05:07:37 AM »
The Guardian is today offering the unsubstantiated suggestion that the much disputed "Robert Johnson & Johhny Shines" phot has been "authenticated." However, a close reading of the accompanying journalistic screed reveals a complete absence of anything approaching the status of evidence.

Wouldn't this quote be the evidence part of it?

Forensic work on the photograph began in 2007, when Lois Gibson, who works with the Houston police department, analysed the features of the long-fingered figure holding the guitar. Gibson, who found the identity of the sailor kissing the nurse in the Life magazine photo of Times Square on VJ day the second world war ended, has ruled that "it appears the individual is Robert Johnson. All the features are consistent, if not identical." The only differences, she added, were due to the angle of the camera or the lighting.

Offline CF

« Reply #118 on: February 04, 2013, 05:17:21 AM »
The forensic facial work is not an exact science & there's a possibility that the suits the two gents are wearing are actually from the early '40s. Johnson died in 1938. Also, that guy to the right cannot be Johnny Shines. Lefty looks like Robert a bit but not enough to my eyes.

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #119 on: February 04, 2013, 05:23:01 AM »
As Michael Messer pointed out on his forum the other day in response to this "story", we cant even be certain that the original two photos are genuine!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal