collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Gonna put you in the river see if you can't drown, tie a rock around your neck and see if that'll keep you down - Casey Bill Weldon, No Good Woman 1937

Author Topic: Miniolian guitar  (Read 1856 times)

Offline banjobill

Miniolian guitar
« on: April 28, 2010, 09:40:10 AM »
Hello all.

I'm new here so I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this sort of question,, if its not I apologise.

My question is does anybody know the reccomended string gauge for the Republic Miniolian. Because its so small and I am not sure of the construction I am tempted to use light strings, but for slide work it would sound better with heavier strings.

Also my miniolian has developt a buzz, rattle over the last few days, seems to be coming from under the cover plate, thought I might try to sort that out while I am changing the strings. Does anybody have any ideas or tips on what I should be looking out for.
As I have said, I really do not have a clue on the construction of resonator guitars.

Thanks.

Bill

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: Miniolian guitar
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 10:55:16 AM »
Hi Bill: Welcome to Weenie Campbell. I'm not in a position to comment on the string gauges for your guitar, but I'll throw in my .02 on the buzz. You might check the tailpiece where it sits on the coverplate. I have a Dobro 36 and it buzzes if I don't put a small piece of cardboard (I think that it's a matchbook cover at present) between the two. Sometimes the string ends buzz in the tailpiece. A mechanics stethoscope is useful for locating buzzes as you can usually get the probe in without taking the guitar apart. Also, check the screws. And since it's a resonator, the sound resonates, which means that the buzz may be coming from a loose part some distance from where the noise seems to be originating from. I believe that loose tuning machines and/or bushings have driven more than a few res owners to distraction before they were pinpointed as the source of the offending noise. Here's a link to the Lisle stethoscope at Amazon. However, most auto parts stores have them on their K-D Tools rack. Hope this helps.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52500-Mechanics-Stethoscope/dp/B0002SQYSM
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 10:56:58 AM by Stuart »

Offline banjobill

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 03:02:10 PM »
Hi Stuart.

Thanks for the welcome and the advice.

The idea that the buzz could be coming from elsewhere on the guitar makes sense but wouldn't have occurred to me, thanks for that, it could save me a lot of grief.

As for a mechanics stethoscope I didn't even know such a thing existed!
 I know even less about the horseless carriage than about resonator guitars. Get in, turn the key, it either starts or it doesn't, end of expertise.
But a stethoscope is not expensive so I will give that a try.

Thanks again Mate.
Cheers

Bill

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 06:05:03 PM »
Welcome banjobill. Stuart's point about the bushings certain nails a previous buzzing problem I've had and which took me awhile to locate. I tightened it up and good as new.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 12:16:48 PM »
I know even less about the horseless carriage than about resonator guitars. Get in, turn the key, it either starts or it doesn't, end of expertise.

Hi Bill:

Not one to pass up an opportunity to inject a little humor, I offer up an old standby: "There are ten thousand parts in the modern automobile, but it's 'the loose nut behind the wheel' that is the source of most problems!"

Not directed at you, of course. As a driveway mechanic, I don't know whether mechanical knowledge and (in?)ability is a blessing or a curse. It's usually a case of "one problem gets fixed and two others come along to take it's place."

Keep us posted re: the buzz and it's fix.

As Always,

Stuart

Offline banjobill

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 08:08:48 AM »
Hello Stuart and Uncle Bud.

Its our May Day Bank holiday today. Typical English public holiday weather too. Rainy, overcast, just had hailstones, and intermittant sunshine (about 30 seconds worth).

Not the weather for going out in so I changed the strings and stripped down my Miniolian
to try and find this buzz.

Couldn't find anything loose, but was surprised to find that the nut can just be lifted out of its groove, Ive never come across that before.
 Also the cone just sits in its well with only the tension of the strings to hold it in place, I imagined that there would be something to secure it.

However I put it all back together and inserted a strip of thick carboard under the tail piece as suggested. Seems to have worked a treat, so thanks again for that tip.

Just out of interest the recommended strings are, GHS phosphor bronze 13-56.

Cheers
Bill

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal