collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Great piece - Old Country Stomp. Thomas apparently used to play a lot of kids' birthday parties. So did Blind Willie McTell - John Fahey, on Henry Thomas

Author Topic: Pogreba  (Read 1573 times)

AX17609

Pogreba
« on: March 21, 2006, 04:58:34 PM »
Hello everyone,

Are there any Pogreba players on the list. Are there any Pogreba fans? If so what type of pick-up would folks suggest for one?

John

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: Pogreba
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 11:01:52 PM »
Check with Bonnie Raitt and see what she uses.-G- Maybe it's listed on her web site or maybe she has a BBL. She sure sounds good on it. I saw her play it at the Paramount in Oakland, her home town.

Actually there was a guy from Colorado who used to bring one to PT, Barry Smith. Logged onto Weenie Campbell as Smiff pretty early on but was never active. Haven't seen him for a few years. Judging from his web page he's performing an award winning solo piece (comedy/theatre?) so I don't know if he's playing much. He didn't have a pick-up in it when I saw him. But that Pogreba had a very interesting sound.

Sorry I can help more.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

AX17609

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 07:13:05 AM »
Thanks John  I'll check BR sight

AX

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 07:30:15 AM »
Being an ignorant Limey who has led a sheltered life, I didn't know what a Pogreba was.  Thought it was some kind of mutant banjo or something.  Anyway, I've now looked it up on the 'net and realise it's a modern resolectric type thingy.

Which reminds me - when Roger Hubbard wanted a similar animal to play with his band Buick 6 (drummer Liam Genockey is very loud) he built himself one.  He then decided to improve on it and built another.  Both sound great, offering a "National" acoustic sound and an electric one - or a combination of the two. He christened the first one "The Hub" and it even has "Hub" inlaid on the headstock.  That one also features cool red fret marker dots.  When I commented on them, he replied casually "Oh yes, No. 10 knitting needle chopped up" (!).  Both Hub #1 and Hub #2 have a secret design feature which prevents feedback from the cone.  My lips are sealed.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 09:36:27 AM »
Big Heart Slides seems to be distributing Pogreba guitars.
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal