collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
After consulting his preacher to make sure there was nothing sinful about playing blues records on the radio Mr. Wright decided to give it a try. He did it six days a week almost until his death on what became one of America's longest-running radio programs. From 6 o'clock to 9, he was the 'Soul Man' playing the blues. For the last two hours he was 'Brother Early' playing gospel music - Early Wright, obituary to the DJ, WROX Clarksdale

Author Topic: Almost afraid to Love - Georgia White  (Read 822 times)

Offline matt milton

• Howdy!
Almost afraid to Love - Georgia White
« on: June 01, 2012, 03:46:02 AM »
This is me getting to grips with the video function on my Nikon Coolpix P7000. The built-in mics are pretty bad - the sound overloads, distorts and compresses in a really annoying way (the loudest sound overwhelms quieter ones) and the external mic jack input is hissy as hell.

Still, here's me playing an old Georgia White song on a Macaferri D-hole guitar (Saga Gitane) about a fortnight ago at a local gig in South London.

Offline zerobob

• Howdy!
Re: Almost afraid to Love - Georgia White
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 05:06:35 PM »
sounds good to me

Offline sustaireblues

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 06:09:17 PM »
Now that was mighty fine Matt!
A very different sounding song, love your vocals and picking, not to mention the very dramatic angle and lighting.

Thanks for posting,
Joe

ps....only bitch, from a personal perspective, the camera angle makes stealing licks almost impossible for a hack like myself.   :D

Offline sustaireblues

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 06:45:36 PM »
Just had to give this another listen Matt, and I still love it!

Quite a performance if you ask me. Maybe it just doesn't fit most folks idea of "country blues", but it sure works for me.

I'd like to hear more!

Thanks for posting up,
Joe

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 07:17:17 PM »
Excellent. I'd like to hear you take on some Skip James material, you certainly have the vocal range and should recognize that not everyone can do that. Thanks for posting.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 07:18:37 PM by Rivers »

Offline matt milton

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 06:32:12 AM »
Just had to give this another listen Matt, and I still love it!

Quite a performance if you ask me. Maybe it just doesn't fit most folks idea of "country blues", but it sure works for me.

I'd like to hear more!

Thanks for posting up,
Joe

yeah, I was a bit hesitant to post it up actually because it's more on that "jazz blues" tip than country blues. More the Georgia White, Alberta Hunter, Bessie Smith school of jazzy blues diva. 

Do you know the Georgia White version? That's what I modelled it on. (Although there's also a great version, but very different, version by Mississippi Joe Callicott) The Georgie White version has some amazing guitar on it, I don't know who played it, but it's very unusual. And there are some great lyrics in those songs. Very melodramatic and OTT. I'm intending to do some more filming soon - I really want to get a few more gigs in London and elsewhere.

I normally don't sing that high BTW. It's just that I'd been taking singing lessons recently and my teacher's always getting me to sing higher up.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 07:06:24 AM »
The Georgie White version has some amazing guitar on it, I don't know who played it

Georgia White's version was recorded April 1 1938 in New York City with Lonnie Johnson on guitar and an unknown bass player.  Bob MacLeod's composer file gives no composer credit for the song.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 08:30:07 AM »
Hi matt milton,
I missed this when you posted it and it is really a fine job.  You sing it well, and kudos on your arrangement--not all that many players would have chosen to play it out of B, and without having heard the original I'm pretty sure that most of the harmonic ideas are your own.  Very nice!
All best,
Johnm

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal