collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
You better tell your napp-headed woman to quit eatin' my meat, drinkin' my wine, spendin' my money - Luke Jordan, Church Bell Blues (take 1)

Author Topic: African American Blues & White String Band Cross Fertilization  (Read 1812 times)

Offline EyesNotChops

• Howdy!
African American Blues & White String Band Cross Fertilization
« on: February 01, 2015, 12:03:05 PM »
Hi, I'm new to this site so perhaps I'm posting this to the wrong forum:

There is an essay by (probably) John Cohen or (perhaps) Mike Seeger on the cross fertilization of African American blues and white string band (I think) music.  I'm sorry to be so vague but it's been a long time ago that I read it.  Anyhow, if anyone knows the source it would really be helpful to me.

(Not) BTW:  I can't believe this website.  As a would-be country blues singer and guitarist who's in the middle of the Mojave desert in a small town, this is like a lifeline to me.  What a revelation!!!

Thanks--and yes, I did send a contribution.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Re: African American and Caucasian Blues: Essay
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 12:39:33 PM »
Hi EyesNotChops - welcome to weenie...  I can't help you with that essay, but it also sounds like the kind of thing that Tony Russell might write.  Right in his kitchen!

Offline EyesNotChops

• Howdy!
African American Blues & White String Band Cross Fertilization
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 02:33:15 PM »
I posted this, mistakenly, to another forum and if you've already read this, my apologies but I think it's more appropriate here and may get more responses:

Hi, I'm new to this site so perhaps I'm posting this to the wrong forum:

There is an essay by (probably) John Cohen or (perhaps) Mike Seeger on the cross fertilization of African American blues and white string band (I think) music.  I'm sorry to be so vague but it's been a long time ago that I read it.  Anyhow, if anyone knows the source it would really be helpful to me.

(Not) BTW:  I can't believe this website.  As a would-be country blues singer and guitarist who's in the middle of the Mojave desert in a small town, this is like a lifeline to me.  What a revelation!!!

Thanks--and yes, I did send a contribution.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: African American and Caucasian Blues: Essay
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 07:30:59 PM »
Yes, sounds much like the ground Tony Russell covers in Blacks, Whites and Blues. Which is definitely recommended reading.

BTW, I merged topics and moved. EyesNotChops, if you post to the wrong board, you could request that one of the moderators move it. ANd welcome to Weeniecampbell!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 03:19:25 PM by uncle bud »

Offline EyesNotChops

• Howdy!
Re: African American Blues & White String Band Cross Fertilization
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 06:29:25 AM »
Uncle, thanks for moving this.  Uncle and Frankie:  I wasn't familiar with Russell's book but googled it and it looks as if it covers much of the same ground.  However, I was looking for an essay that I had read, that I would like to distribute to our "blueshounds" group.

Thanks again, guys.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 04:06:52 PM »
Yeah, I mentioned Russell's book in part because it fit the subject matter but also because it's really quite short by book-length standards, so could qualify as an essay in some ways (albeit a long one).

No sign of an essay that fits the bill on Cohen's website. http://www.johncohenworks.com/about/vitae.html

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 03:20:12 PM »
Essay of possible interest by the late Charles Wolfe:

http://nativeground.com/rural-black-string-band-music-charles-wolfe/

Offline EyesNotChops

• Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 12:24:48 PM »
Thank you Uncle.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal