collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I did a gig in a prison once, right there in the lockdown. You can be pretty sure those dudes got the blues - Jerry Ricks, Port Townsend 99

Author Topic: Lena Hughes' parlor guitar  (Read 946 times)

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
Lena Hughes' parlor guitar
« on: February 07, 2013, 09:02:39 AM »
Mike Brosnan posted this on fb, and I thought some of you might be interested in it.

This is probably about as close to amateur parlor music from the turn of the century, as we'll ever get. Mrs. Hughes was born in 1904 and began playing music at the age of 9.
She made her only, apparently self produced, record in 1960's, which is now being reprinted.

The story and some sample tracks:

http://www.npr.org/2013/02/06/171294400/the-ancient-vibration-of-parlor-music-revived-by-two-generations

The album and the tracklist on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Queen-Flat-Guitar-Lena-Hughes/dp/B00AF6B16Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1360256385&sr=1-1&keywords=Queen+Of+The+Flat+Top+Guitar

Cheers

Pan

Offline eric

Re: Lena Hughes' parlor guitar
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 09:25:45 AM »
Also available in glorious vinyl!

http://www.tompkinssquare.com/archives/312
--
Eric

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 02:15:49 PM »
Ahhhhhhh...

I'm a sucker for music like this.  thanks for posting about it, Pan.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 05:56:41 PM »
Hi all,
There are also some tracks by Lena Hughes (along with Lewis Thomasson, Earl Blair and Estil C. Ball on County's "Rural Parlor Guitar" CD, CO-CD-2744.  On that album, Lena plays one tune, "Pearly Dew" in the open C tuning that John Fahey liked, CGCGCE, and Earl Blair actually plays a tune in the open C tuning, GCEGCE, that Peg Leg Howell played "Low Down Rounder Blues" and "Fairy Blues" out of.  Lena had really interesting phrasing and held things different lengths than I, at least, expected her to.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 08:11:28 PM »
Yeah I heard that segment on our local npr station coming home from work last night. I was struck by the tone, time signatures and of course the repertoire.

Got to get it, totally unmissable. I thought John Renbourne was very articulate in the interview and obviously very enthusiastic about the project and by Lena's playing, as was I. Was that Spanish Fandango in the opening part? Fabulous.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 08:48:12 PM by Rivers »

Offline mr mando

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 01:54:54 AM »
Very interesting. Think I'll get the vinyl. Seems the tracks from the County Parlor Guitar CD were recorded at a different date than the LP tracks, as there's only one title (maybe a different version) which is on both releases.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal