collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
My hook is in the water, and all the fish is up on top - Eddie Burns - Fun Time

Author Topic: Broonzy autobiography?  (Read 8305 times)

Offline Great Bear

• Howdy!
Re: Broonzy autobiography?
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2006, 11:49:07 AM »
Does anyone know if Broonzy identified the Harman Ray photo as Peetie Wheatstraw?
I don't know but it seems highly likely doesn't it? The interesting thing about that "Wheatstraw" photo is that in 1964 it appeared on the cover of a Blues Classics Peetie/Kokomo Arnold compilation but Big Maceo had been 'cut off' and for many years after that it became the standard "Wheatstraw" mug shot. That's still how that photo of Harmon Ray is reproduced, no Maceo to be seen.

When I read Paul Garon's updated Peetie Wheatstraw book, I was struck by the meeting between Wheatstraw and Ray, where Wheatstraw says, "Man, you sing just like me," with Ray responding, "Man, you sing just like me." (pg.58) It had me wondering if Broonzy got the two confused or was conned by a great impersonator.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2006, 12:44:56 PM »
Does anyone know if Broonzy identified the Harman Ray photo as Peetie Wheatstraw?
I don't know but it seems highly likely doesn't it? The interesting thing about that "Wheatstraw" photo is that in 1964 it appeared on the cover of a Blues Classics Peetie/Kokomo Arnold compilation but Big Maceo had been 'cut off' and for many years after that it became the standard "Wheatstraw" mug shot. That's still how that photo of Harmon Ray is reproduced, no Maceo to be seen.
I've just noticed that I forgot to say (mainly for Great Bear's benefit) the bolderised photo could be viewed here (BC4):
http://www.wirz.de/music/blclafrm.htm

Offline Stefan Wirz

• Tach-chen!
    • 'American Music'
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2006, 05:22:57 AM »
from Paul Garon: The Devil's Son-In-Law - The Story of Peetie Wheatstraw and his Songs.- Studio Vista, London 1971, p. 63:

Sorry but I don't own the new release of that book. Could be interesting if Paul Garon changed his commentary to that pic ('tentatively') ...
Stefan

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2006, 05:30:31 AM »
from Paul Garon: The Devil's Son-In-Law - The Story of Peetie Wheatstraw and his Songs.- Studio Vista, London 1971, p. 63:

Sorry but I don't own the new release of that book. Could be interesting if Paul Garon changed his commentary to that pic ('tentatively') ...
Stefan
Surprisingly no, it remains exactly the same.
I'd forgotten that one can just spot the shoulder and edge of Maceo's hat! A dead giveaway but why cut out Maceo at all? Wierd.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal