collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I didn't like him, and he didn't like me - John Fahey on rediscovering Skip James

Author Topic: Guitar of Robert Johnson  (Read 3402 times)

Offline SGGW

• Howdy!
Guitar of Robert Johnson
« on: April 10, 2014, 08:51:59 PM »
Stefan Grossman's Guitar Workshop Presents:

[float=left][/float]Guitar of Robert Johnson
taught by Tom Feldmann

Robert Johnson is arguably the most well known figure in the history of the blues. Though the 29 songs Johnson recorded from 1936-1937 had little impact during his lifetime, a collection of his singles, entitled King of the Delta Blues Singerswas released in 1961 and found widespread recognition. Then, 30 years later, The Complete Recordings of Robert Johnson was released selling over one million copies. The first blues recording to do so, winning a Grammy in the process.

Since that 1961 LP, players from all different musical backgrounds have sought to learn Robert Johnson's techniques and in this 3 DVD set, with over 5 hours and 52 minutes of instruction, Tom Feldmann covers every aspect of Johnson's playing. Each song is performed by Feldmann before he dissects the arrangement verse-by-verse and ends with a split screen segment where the song is played slowly with close up shots of both the left and right hands. This is the most expansive look into the guitar playing of Robert Johnson produced in video form.

DVD One: Standard Tuning: Kind Hearted Woman, Phonograph Blues, 32-20 Blues, A Blues Variations (Dead Shrimp Blues, Little Queen of Spades, Honeymoon Blues), I'm A Steady Rolling Man, Sweet Home Chicago, Love in Vain Blues, From Four Til Late, Drop D Tuning: Malted Milk, Crossnote Tuning: Hellhound on my Trail

DVD Two: Spanish Tuning: Stop Breakin' Down Blues, Variations for Terraplane Blues and Milkcow Blues, Walking Blues, Come On In My Kitchen, Last Fair Deal Gone Down, Stones In My Passway, Cross Road Blues, Traveling Riverside Blues

DVD Three: Spanish Tuning: If I Had Possession Over Judgement Day, Vestapol Tuning: Rambling on my Mind, I Believe I'll Dust My Broom, Preaching Blues, Standard Tuning: They're Red Hot

352 minutes ? Level 3 ? Detailed tab/music booklet PDF file included on each DVD

http://www.guitarvideos.com/products/guitar-workshop-instructional-dvds/guitar-of-robert-johnson

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Guitar of Robert Johnson
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 08:55:07 AM »
It's kind of astonishing that this is just coming out now from SGGW. Given Johnson's popularity, you would have thought this would be one of the earliest in the series. Better late than never.

Did Steve Lavere approve that cover?   ;)

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 09:32:36 AM »
I suppose there are at least two decent Johnson videos already not to mention several transcript books. That said it does seem a very obvious one not to have been done at sggw before.

Offline gtrworkshp

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 09:03:09 AM »
It took many, and I mean "many" years to get all the copyright permissions to do the instructional DVD. Plus this DVD is a comprehensive lesson on all the tunes Johnson recorded. Very detailed. That's why we needed 3 DVDs to get all the information.

Offline Vidal

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 01:33:05 PM »
Why is this not available through the UK's Guitar Workshop?

Offline dunplaying

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 08:48:47 AM »
Vidal, according to an email that I have just received from SGGW the set will be available in a few weeks.

Offline Vidal

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 02:17:05 PM »
That's good to hear as not every instructional DVD is available in the UK.  Tom Feldman's Delta Blues Guitar from Dockery Plantation is an example, as far as I am aware, of this.

Offline dunplaying

• Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 03:21:30 AM »
Perhaps they have fobbed me off but I have checked the email and it is from SGGW UK and signed "Maggie".
ETA 2 weeks.

Offline dunplaying

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 06:58:58 AM »
Vidal,it is available now.?37.95 +p/p.

Offline Vidal

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 02:01:42 PM »
I haven't got round to this yet.  I have Rory Block's book on Johnson, but for some reason I never took to it.  The excerpt from this video, however, looks more up my street.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal