collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Now, I got the washboard, my baby got the tub, we gonna put 'em together, gonna rub, rub, rub - Bo Carter, Banana in Your Fruit Basket

Author Topic: Memphis Minnie pics  (Read 1999 times)

Offline Randy Meadows

• Randy Meadows
Memphis Minnie pics
« on: January 18, 2013, 04:28:40 PM »
I've been researching periodicals from the 1960s-1980s and I discovered a few Memphis Minnie photos that ive never seen before if you guys are interested...

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 05:26:33 AM by Randy Meadows »
randymeadows@ymail.com
luvthatzeppelin on Youtube

Offline oddenda

Re: Memphis Minnie pics
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 05:10:01 PM »
Randy -

I remember seeing the lower shot of Minnie in a seniors' home in an early issue of BLUES UNLIMITED. Don't remember the one w. Son Joe... what's its source for you?

Eddie Kirkland told me that Minnie was the cause of him staying out all night long on his first wife! She was playing a house party and her guitar playing was so impressive that he stayed in a corner listening all night. She also had great legs, combining two of Eddie's favorite topics: music and women!

Peter B.

Offline Tom Rushen

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 05:16:41 PM »
          I remember seeing the lower shot of Minnie in a seniors' home in an early issue of BLUES UNLIMITED.

I remember that picture and the article that accompanied it. The writer (Paul Garon?) detailed the encounter at the nursing home with Minnie, who was very emotional and sad that her stroke had debilitated her in such a way that she couldn't speak with her visitors.

Offline Randy Meadows

• Randy Meadows
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 05:22:02 PM »
Thanks for the information and CD for Eddie Kirkland! Peter.
Randy
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 07:01:43 PM by Randy Meadows »
randymeadows@ymail.com

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 01:58:38 AM »
I remember that picture and the article that accompanied it. The writer (Paul Garon?) detailed the encounter at the nursing home with Minnie, who was very emotional and sad that her stroke had debilitated her in such a way that she couldn't speak with her visitors.
Good memory. In 1969 Mike Leadbitter visited Minnie and Daisy at the nursing home. He reported the event in Blues Unlimited (issue 78, Dec 1970 pps 8-9) and was provided the photograph which I think was taken by Harry Godwin in 1968. Leadbitter had previously embarked upon a correspondence with Daisy for his new magazine, Blues Unlimited launched April 1963. The first European to visit her was the late George Adins (1962) who reported the event to (Rhythm & Blues Panorama 24 March 1963 "Une Femme pas Comme les Autres: Memphis Minnie".

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 04:29:29 AM »
The photos are plates 25 and 34 in Paul and Beth Garon's Memphis Minnie biography, Woman With Guitar.

I have the Da Capo Press paperback version of that book (I can't find a publishing date), and my one complaint about it is that I wish the illustrations had been printed with more clarity.   

Edited to add:  Bunker Hill has kindly pointed out to me that If I'd had my morning cup of tea before looking at the Memphis Minnie book, I would have seem the publishing date of 1992, which wasn't hard at all to find.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 07:35:40 AM by dj »

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 02:18:14 AM »
Would love to see a higher res version of the night club photo!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Stefan Wirz

• Tach-chen!
    • 'American Music'
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 04:56:42 AM »
source: Paul and Beth Garon: Memphis Minnie Blues.- New York (Da Capo Press), 1992, photo #25 (between pp.88 & 89); heavily embellished/photoshopped by Stefan Wirz 

Photo caption reads: "Son Joe, unknown, unknown, Memphis Minnie, at the 708 Club, 1940s".
... so it's not Son Joe and Memphis Minnie you see on the cropped version Randy posted !!!

... Achtung: Meanwhile corrected by Paul Garon (at facebook's Real Blues Forum) to "Unknown, Unknown, Son Joe, Memphis Minnie" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 12:57:49 PM by Stefan Wirz »

Offline Randy Meadows

• Randy Meadows
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 05:26:10 AM »
Thanks Stefan. You are correct. I'm going to pull that one since you have the full one.
I have a different photo with Lonnie Johnson and Minnie from 1957 and it looks like the same guy on the right (in this photo) is from left side of table in other photo.(Son Joe)
randymeadows@ymail.com

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 06:37:02 AM »
Randy, where does the Lonnie Johnson ID come from?  That's plate 23 in Woman With Guitar, and the Garons' ID is, left to right, Son Joe, unknown, Minnie, unknown.  That's not to say that they're right and you're wrong, just wondering who is IDed as Lonnie Johnson in the photo and what the authority is for the ID. 

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 02:51:16 AM »
Great to see this pics of Minnie in her prime. I don't recognise Lonnie Johnson in the second one, but I do notice Son Joe's and A.N. Other's shared sartorial taste in T-shirts! Band outfit perhaps?

Offline Randy Meadows

• Randy Meadows
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 05:25:11 AM »
I'm trying to find my exact reference for those.. They are Garon's Im sure..
I have a few more photos..and some flyers/ads for Minnie. They all came from the same place.

randymeadows@ymail.com

Offline Shivers1954

• Howdy!
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2018, 07:17:59 AM »
Hi! Would it be possible for you to re-post these photos? I'd really love to see them, and I can only view the one with Minnie at the table with others. ...Or am I maybe missing a link something? Thanks!

Tags: Memphis Minnie 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal