collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I heard no colour line in the music... to bring recognition to the Negro's supremacy in jazz was the most effective and constructive form of social protest I could think of - John Hammond Sr., in his 1977 memoir John Hammond on Record

Author Topic: European Weenie gathering 13-14 April 07 is go! And the web site up and running  (Read 23287 times)

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
Wax

Nice to know that Paris is suiting you, I like it too. Sadly, once you cross the water to the realms of the UK you will be hit by the fact that, unlike the rest of the civilised world, the coffee here is total and utter crap... you have been warned  :(

PA ? Well, it seems to be customary so we got it, particularly since there is a bar in the room  :P I suppose of course you don't need to use it and if I'm honest I also prefer things in a quiter mode.

The hotel will let us makre the final numbers for the Saturday meal on the Friday, work that out  ;) so no problem with extras.

I am sure I will be floating around there on the Friday, so will catch you then... no doubt!

I am am afraid I can't offer anybody lifts or anything as my car is in technical speak, buggered and I am having to pinch one of the kid's cars as and when I can  >:(
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
Forecast is remarkably good for the South of England next weekend...  Hopefully that will translate to the channel islands as well.

Anyway- just a silly thought Richard:  I don't suppose there are any music shops around from which it might be feasible to hire a double bass for the weekend?  Probably a very silly thought I know, but the mrs plays so I thought I'd ask. 

It is of course an even longer shot to persuade her to play blues, but...

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
Wouldn't it be good if the weather held out, there we are sat indoors twanging away while the sunshines away....  ;)

NS it's sad to say a bass is is no-go... the musac shop is on holiday (obviously, when you need 'em) and the only string bass players I know are not keen on lending.... could we eeeerrr, uummm maybe silver tongue her into dressing up as Ransome Knowling and get a box, string and a broom handle......................  :P

You shouldn't have to persuade her to play the blues surely ?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 09:47:31 AM by Richard »

Offline SteveMcBill

• This too shall pass! So grab it while you can!
    • Steve Mc's Acoustic Guitar
Just a short note to say "All the best for the weekend guys - hope it goes well and you all have a great time - play a few for me - who knows maybe I'll be there in future years !"

Steve   ;)

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
Thanks... they all seem to be arriving and the sun is (was) shining so let hope they all enjoy themselves....  :D

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
So far so good, even the weather  :)

But, that there Waxwing... maybe it's the long hair like Samson that gives him the energy... 'cause we can't keep him off the stand  ;D  ;)  ;D

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
We'll post a full review of the festivities later & I'm told Richard is going to post some sound files (eek!). I can however, with due modesty, reveal that Prof.Scratchy and myself jointly won the blues quiz by a distance. Something to be said for the 60's.

Thanks to Richard for setting this event up and ensuring it has run so successfully - looking forward to next year.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Looking forward to reports from all, audio, video, photos, menu items, you name it...  ;D

Offline Norfolk Slim

I'd like to second Phil's thanks to Richard for arranging the weekend which went smoothly and was good fun for all.

We had a weekend full of good playing and solid performances, and (as far as I can recall) barely any endless E Shuffles...  It was a good and fairly eclectic mix of styles and influences which was great.

Special mentions to:-

Prof Scratchy (who is a very fine player indeed) for an apparently alcohol fuelled (but perfectly executed) run of great tunes late on Saturday night, including a great rendition of Lonni Johnson's Racketeers Blues.

Tom Doughty, who I've not seen play before.  Wonderful. original, lap slide.

And also the wonderful youngsters of Guernsey who's mopeds woke me up early enough in the morning to ensure I didn't miss anything!

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
Glad to hear you all had such a good time.  Blueshome will doubtless tell me all the sordid details when we next meet up.

Nice to see my old mate Tom Doughty was there as well.  He's a fantastic musician.

Maybe I'll make it next time. 
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Just back from Weenieguernsey and had a great time.  Wonderful to meet everyone and put faces to weenienames! What a fine bunch of folk! More later...but many thanks to Richard for putting it all together.
Prof S

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
Well thanks for coming over people, without you there would have been no event and I glad it went well.. we were so lucky with the weather as well !! 

I'll put a few short joined up words togther when I have wrung the odd mp3 out of the machine and post tomorrow - sadly, vids we have not !

Offline Norfolk Slim

Tom Doughty, Steve and Graham

Sonia, Blueshome and Richard

Ian, Natterjack and me

Geoff, Waxwing and Prof Scratchy

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
NS  - thanks thats really good, but I didn't our suntans were quite that pronounced... maybe it was the odd drink that has coloured the scene ;)

I think I have an mp3 of each of the 4 "trios" so I'll sort em out for a post tomorrow  :-X
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 11:40:42 AM by Richard »

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Great pics, NS. The trios all did good, with benefit of last minute rehearsals and pints of Guiness. Musical highlights of the weekend for me were Tom Doughty's wonderful lap playing and Waxy's note-perfect version of Clifford Gibson's 'Tired of Being Mistreated'. Richard, you should have hung around for the Sunday night gathering - lots of variety in
the tunes that came about and some great lap playing again from Tom.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal