collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I'm old enough to know you can't close your mind to new ideas - John Goodenough, a 94-year-old professor at the University of Texas at Austin

Author Topic: You Don't Love Me  (Read 739 times)

Offline Brennan

• I woke up this morning...
    • The Unbroken Circle
You Don't Love Me
« on: September 26, 2016, 09:36:44 AM »
I am trying to trace the origins of "You Don't Love Me" which is credited to Willie Cobbs.

While it is pretty widely believed that Willie borrowed the riff for You Don't Love Me from Bo Diddley's She's Fine, She's Mine, the melody and lyrics are less clear. 

Clarence Edwards recorded You Don't Love Me (without the Bo Diddley beat) for Dr. Harry Oster, released on Country Negro Jam Sessions.

I believe that the Clarence Edwards recording occurred prior to the Willie Cobbs session, but I have been struggling to pin down exact dates for both.  Dates for the Harry Oster / Clarence Edwards session seem to be 1960 and for the Willie Cobbs session seem to be either 1960 or 1961, but the ambiguity allows for overlap (and therefore the possibility that Edwards learned teh song from the Cobbs record.)

Does anyone know the exact recording and/or release dates of these two records?

Or, more interesting, does anyone know of any evidence that You Don't Love Me was sung as a folk/country blues song BEFORE the recordings by Cobbs and Edwards?
Brennan Carley

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: You Don't Love Me
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 06:21:14 PM »
Hi Brennan,
Didn't you ask this question before?  It's already been answered, at least as far as the recording date of the Clarence Edwards recording version goes:  October 27,1959.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Brennan

• The Unbroken Circle
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 04:38:15 AM »
John, I don't think that I did, although it's possible!  Do you have a source/reference for the October, 1959 date?  Thanks so much!
Brennan Carley

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 08:54:17 AM »
Hi Brennan,
If you go to the "Country Negro Jam Session" thread, at:  http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=782.msg98629#msg98629 , you'll find your original posting of the query.  Follow the thread to its end and you'll get the original recording date and the source of the information.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Brennan

• The Unbroken Circle
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 11:55:17 AM »
Thanks!
Brennan Carley

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal