collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I'm in Mississippi with mud all on my shoes, my gal in Louisiana with those high water blues. That's why I'm crying, Mis'sippi heavy water blues - Barbecue Bob Hicks, Mississippi Heavy Water Blues

Author Topic: Song Of The Moment: the schedule for 2015  (Read 16723 times)

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
Re: Song Of The Moment: the schedule for 2015
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2015, 09:53:42 PM »
Hi Pan - would you be interested in swapping your date or adding the 25th of Sep?

Essentially, if we can't find any takers for the 25th, we'll have to punt as I've got my head in some other stuff at the moment.

I'll do the 25th. If someone want's to take the december date it's fine by me. If not, I'll just do both.

Cheers

Pan

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 02:31:53 PM »
Sounds good Pan! Thanks!  I've switched you from 18-Dec to 25-Sep.

That gives someone the opportunity to take 18-Dec as their date since we now have a vacancy...  come on and step up!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 05:05:32 AM »
Hi everyone - I've not heard back from eaglerockindaddy on today's SOTM (23-Oct). If nothing has been posted by this evening (EST), I have a topic that I can post.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2015, 09:52:21 AM »
Any takers for the 18th? It's easier than it looks, and so satisfying once you've done it!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2015, 04:06:49 AM »
Bumping again for the 18th...  it would be wonderful to have a new contributor take the reins for this last one of 2015!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2015, 12:09:37 PM »
One last bump for the 18th - I just know there's one in you!

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2015, 03:44:15 PM »
I'd just add that it seems to me that it is not necessary to choose songs for which you need to find a long list of versions of for this - the way many folks have done so far (not that's there anything wrong with that  :P). Treating a singular tune in with some other approach is totally cool as well.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2015, 04:36:02 PM »
Well said, Uncle Bud...  the only criteria for the SOTM is that you find it interesting enough to bring up and that it be related to CB in some way.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2015, 06:09:25 AM »
I know I said "last", but that was a figure of speech.

In all seriousness, I would like to encourage anyone who has enjoyed the SOTM posts in any way but has not yet contributed to take a crack at it.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2015, 09:33:15 AM »
Hey Frank,

I just looked at the wikipedia entry for a well known song I'm sure a lot of Weenies have interest in and it shouldn't be too much trouble to cull an interesting post from it. It has been well recorded by many artist in several styles through rock and roll, so there should be a ton of youtube examples, including quite a few from the prewar era setting the tune to different lyrics. So sign me up for Dec. 18th. May not be until the end of the day (west coast time) but I have that day off, so should have some free time to work it up.

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2015, 07:45:39 PM »
Go for it, John - thanks for volunteering!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2016, 07:49:52 PM »
So - was this a worthy endeavor in 2015? I'm curious as to whether people found this interesting enough to pursue in 2016...  if so, what changes would you make, if any...  was the timing too frequent/infrequent? It won't hurt my feelings if you didn't find it interesting enough to want to contribute or participate even by reading a post...  I really would like to get reactions to the experience and to put together a direction for 2016.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2016, 08:22:09 PM »
Hi Frank,
I've quite enjoyed the Song of the Moment since you introduced it last May.  I've enjoyed the educational aspect, hearing versions of the songs I'd not heard before, just seeing what songs people select, and especially, perhaps, when people post their own versions of the songs in question.  I would be happy to see it keep going, and can't think of any modifications to the format that seem necessary from my point of view.  It's possible that once a month would be less onerous to keep going, and in the natural course of things, some songs end up being discussed/viewed/contributed to more than others, but that's just an indication of where peoples' interests lie.  I think it was a great idea, and has played out really well thus far.
all best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 06:11:35 AM by Johnm »

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2016, 02:36:02 AM »
Keep it going. It has been a fine feature.

Sent from my KFARWI using Tapatalk

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2016, 03:50:47 AM »
Agreed, a very enlightening series of discussions and I'd vote it should definitely continue. Like John, I particularly like hearing the new individual takes on a given song.

Tags: SOTM 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal