collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"Listen!!!" - Sonny Stitt's response to a young pianist backing him who asked what chord substitutions he was using on a well-known jazz standard.

Author Topic: More 78s found (no new songs)  (Read 1549 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
More 78s found (no new songs)
« on: April 11, 2006, 12:58:55 PM »
I noticed this posted by someone over on the Blindman's Blues Forum in contact with John Tefteller. Looks like Tefteller has struck again (can't confirm as I'm not in touch with him). A little too late for the Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of.

Tefteller writes:
"While here I received an e-mail from a woman in East Texas who bought some
records at an estate sale. When she named them I immediately went to look at
them and I am now the proud owner of an E- copy of Willie Brown "Future
Blues" Paramount 13090 and a similar condition Blind Blake Paramount 13113
"What A Low Down Place The Jailhouse Is" The Brown is now the world's best
copy and the Blake is only the second copy ever found with the first being
so worn as to not be much use. So, I have found a couple more to shake up
the blues world with and I am still hunting! They are still out there!

Also, I found an Okeh advertising sheet with a nice ad for Mississippi John
Hurt's "Frankie" and so I now have something on him to use for a Calendar
page!
Okay I read your article with great interest. Thanks! Yes, it seems like it might
go someplace with all that support...my big hope is that a few more of the
"lost" Paramounts will turn up as a result of all this!
Yes, you can announce my recent finds...no problem.
Thanks!"

Offline jharris

• Big Road Blues
Re: More 78s found (no new songs)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 04:46:12 PM »
I wrote something up on my website regarding some recently discovered 78's that may be of interest: www.baddogblues.com/special.htm

The page also contains an interview I did with Tefteller.

-Jeff H

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 05:36:04 PM »
Hi all,
I don't know, because "The Stuff Dreams Are Made Of" set is not very forth-coming about the provenance of the different selections on the set or why they were selected (some have been released and available for years), but I would guess that in instances where there were versions of a song already re-issued, the one included on the set was newly found, and in better shape than the previously best version of the song.
A possible case in point is the version of Tommy Johnson"s "Slidin' Delta" included there.  Every previous version of this performance that I have heard has been whupped.  The one on the set is very clean, and a treat to listen to; it's such a great tune.  It is one of my particular favorites of Tommy Johnson's and I'm especially glad because it is a solo performance with no noodley Charlie McCoy back-up.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Montgomery

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 08:16:48 AM »
I agree with you about Slidin' Delta.  Although I have the song on my Document CD, this new transfer of it is really beautiful (comparitively).  Actually, I think that on the whole, the records he did for Paramount contained some of his strongest recorded work, but the sound on some of those records is so atrocious (even worse than most Paramounts) that they're overshadowed by the Victor's (which, of course, are also excellent records).  Maybe the real problem is that there's not really a good Tommy Johnson CD out there.  The Document doesn't cut it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal