collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Q: What's the biggest problem with most troubled relationships? A: The other person

Linked Events

• A Night of Country Blues Guitar at the Fabulous : January 08, 2011 - January 13, 2011

Author Topic: A Night of Country Blues Guitar at the Fabulous Jalopy Theatre - January 8  (Read 3676 times)

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Start off 2011 with a hearty helping of Country Blues guitar!

Pat Conte

Ari Eisinger

Eden and John's East River String Band

The Little Brothers

Music starts at 8PM
$15 for the whole night!

The Fabulous Jalopy Theatre
315 Columbia Street Brooklyn, New York 11231

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Bumping for next Saturday...  if you're in the area, start off the New Year right!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Hi all,
This is going to be a great show, and I wish I could be there for it.  One of these days!
All best,
Johnm

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
..will likely be there, looking forward to a great show!  Tom

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
Got the $15, just need the price of the flight. Frankie you should stop taunting us like this.

It's a shame acts of this quality get no national or international exposure, look at the rubbish that is passed off as "acoustic" blues these days.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
No self respecting Weenie oughta miss a show like this! O0
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
Hope this went well..we canceled at the last minute due to possible snow (driving from PA) .. maybe next time?  Tom

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
Yes, how did it go?
Hopefully you got a good audience for such a great show?
Any video treats coming up?

Cheers

Pan

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: A Night of Country Blues Guitar at the Fabulous Jalopy Theatre - January 8
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 04:05:02 PM »
I'm among the curious as well.  How did it go, Frank?
All best,
Johnm

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 02:56:08 AM »
The audience was pretty good, although the snow definitely scared some folks off.  Pat turned in a great set of electric stuff with Ernesto Gomez on snare.  Ari was great, and played a newly acquired Stella 12-string on 2 numbers:  Leadbelly's  I'm Sorry Mama and Memphis Minnie's Drunken Barrelhouse Blues - lots of Blind Blake and Blind Lemon played brilliantly, of course. 

The East River String Band played some Bertha Lee & Charley Patton, Pink Anderson and Simmie Dooley, Mississippi John Hurt...  John used the "Peg Leg tuning" for the lead guitar part for Old Jim Canan's:

We (the Little Brothers) played a lot of new material, and some not so new...  a fair number of songs were drawn from the new CD, including the title song "Mama's Angel Child"

we did this one, JUST for Parlor Picker and blueshome:

Mike and I also did a couple of mandolin/guitar duets from the McCoy/Vinson bag (Times Ain't What They Used To Be, Near The End).  I did a couple of guitar pieces (Bad Luck Blues and Sawmill Moan), Kim sang a few (New Bumble Bee,  Farewell Daddy and What Fault You Find Of Me?), and plenty of band numbers, including The World Is Going Wrong and Loose Like That.

A good time was had by all...  we'll be back there in February with Mamie Minch and Mr. O'muck and the Academy of Ancient Blues.  Y'all come!

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 04:55:35 AM »
Thanks for the report and the great videos, Frankie!
It appears to have been a fantastic evening indeed!
I'm glad to hear that there's more to come! And saddened by the fact that I can't be there!
If possible, keep these video treats coming for us overseas fans.

But what's this with the new CD, and how come I don't know anything about it? Please do tell us more.

Btw. I loved your version of Mama's Angel Child. Great singing there too.

Cheers

Pan

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 06:56:44 AM »
I can only echo Pan's comments. As he says, it's great for us Weenies over the water to be able to see and hear some of the excellent performances. Of course it's no substitute for actually being there, soaking up the atmosphere, but it's still very welcome.

And as for the dedication, Frankie - well what can I say? I assume you were dedicating Kim's lovely singing to me and the you-know-what to Phil. [Actually I've got to come clean and say I liked the fretless banjo, which sounds remarkably like the West African ngoni in that clip.]

Thanks again for posting.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline eagle rockin daddy

• Oh Glory How Happy I Am
    • myspace site
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 08:04:09 AM »
Frankie,

Great stuff, thanks.  What is the date in Feb? 

Mike

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 08:31:26 AM »
Thanks for that Frankie. BTW, I recall saying in the past that fretless (gut strung) was not on the "shoot on sight" list - as for the rest of the family of Devil's artifices............

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 03:45:40 PM »
.....also still in shock at seeing Frankie suited and booted!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 04:04:48 PM »
fabulous stuff frankie!  If I were a betting man I'd bet the Jalopy is the only place you'd see frankie suited and booted.  :P

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 04:12:14 PM »
..great stuff, thanks for posting it.  Nice to see weird old America still exists!  Tom

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 06:55:41 PM »
But what's this with the new CD, and how come I don't know anything about it? Please do tell us more.

It's almost done - it was in the planning stages for quite a while.  We recorded the bulk of the trio pieces and a couple of guitar/mandolin pieces during a single weekend in November, then Kim and I put together the remaining duo and solo pieces over the first couple weeks of December.  I spent the latter part of December mixing and mastering, and just closed the door on the last (mildly contentious) piece last week - the audio is all set.  The graphics should be ready this week so we can start production and have the new CD, "Mama's Angel Child," ready in time to go to Sighisoara with us.

Btw. I loved your version of Mama's Angel Child. Great singing there too.

Thanks!  I dunno what kind of music it is, but I like it!

And as for the dedication, Frankie - well what can I say? I assume you were dedicating Kim's lovely singing to me and the you-know-what to Phil. [Actually I've got to come clean and say I liked the fretless banjo, which sounds remarkably like the West African ngoni in that clip.]

Thanks, PP - we struggled with the setting for that tune, and that sort of popped out of me after listening to King Solomon Hill...  then stream of consciousness took over, probably including all the west african music I've ever heard.

And yes, I DID notice that you used the words "liked" and "banjo" in the same sentence without any apparent sarcasm.

Great stuff, thanks.  What is the date in Feb? 

It's 6-Feb a Sunday.  I'll make an event in the Weenie calendar.

Thanks for that Frankie. BTW, I recall saying in the past that fretless (gut strung) was not on the "shoot on sight" list - as for the rest of the family of Devil's artifices............

Clearly, I still have some work to do....  you'll see the light!

.....also still in shock at seeing Frankie suited and booted!
fabulous stuff frankie!  If I were a betting man I'd bet the Jalopy is the only place you'd see frankie suited and booted.  :P

My exact direction to the LBs:  "Dress fine and wear lace-up boots!"  :-)

..great stuff, thanks for posting it.  Nice to see weird old America still exists!  Tom

Glad you liked it, Tom.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal