collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
But it ain't no use to worry, honey, 'bout the time you've had. If you had a lot of trouble, honey, it is just too bad - Barbecue Bob, It's Just Too Bad

Author Topic: PIANO BLUES  (Read 2737 times)

honkytonk

PIANO BLUES
« on: January 29, 2005, 11:05:48 AM »
HELLO TO ALL UOU BLUES FANS OUT THERE. I'VE BEEN GUNNING THE IVORIES FOR QUITE A SPELL. SO HERE'S A WEE NUMBER CALLED 'MAC'S BLUES' WITH A TOUCH HERE AND THERE OF COW COW DAVENPORT

boots

Re: PIANO BLUES
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 11:20:44 AM »
OOPS!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 11:52:05 AM »
Welcome HonkyTonk!

Keep trying and let us know if you need any help!

cheers,
slack

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 03:57:40 PM »
Think I can help out here.... Mr Tonk is a long time buddy and sparring partner whose music needs to be heard by the world, in my humble opinion. Forunately he leaked me a copy of his file, which I attach herewith!
Prof S

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 09:10:22 PM »
Mr. Tonk - I know far too little about blues piano playing to say anything intelligent, so I'll just say it sounds great! Very cool.

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2005, 09:23:49 AM »
All I can say is that I'm guessing "gunning the ivories for quite a spell" is more than just a couple of weeks on the piano bench!  Just wonderful stuff.

I gather that you influenced/stimulated the earlier Prof Scratchy piano posting?  For a passing moment I thought maybe this would be PS playing, sandbagging us with a new logon name...  If it is, nice progress Scratchy...

I'm really struck by the sound in the bass - I'll be danged if that isn't the sound I am always tyring to emulate with my thumb!

tom

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2005, 09:29:16 AM »
Terrific Mr. Tonk!  A really nice set of variations and your timing is impeccable!

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2005, 09:52:58 AM »
I gather that you influenced/stimulated the earlier Prof Scratchy piano posting? For a passing moment I thought maybe this would be PS playing, sandbagging us with a new logon name... If it is, nice progress Scratchy...

In my dreams!! Years of treading the boards with honkytonk may have left a trace of a mark on my own puny efforts - but what you're hearing here is the result of a lifetime immersed in piano blues. I've heard lots of good blues piano players, but for my money there's nobody comes close to the authentic barrelhouse feel that he gets. And the left hand, as you rightly point out, is a killer. If he'd been around in the twenties, he'da been famous!!

Offline snakehips

• Hi there !
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2005, 10:52:56 AM »
HOLY HAGGIS !!!!!

Honky-Tonk ! If you are who I think you are, then that is the very best I have ever heard you - whoops !!! Don't get me wrong, you are always fantastic, the times I have had the pleasure to hear you - but that recording is just a smash !!!

Its either you or a newly discovered 78 of a Cow Cow Davenport / Big Maceo cloning experiment !

Your the man !

When I was still learning at a basic level, I saw you and Prof Scratchy (before I knew either of you) and it was such an inspiration  to me. I had never seen piano playing like that up close, live, before that. What a performer !

I really do hope to get together with you for a jam, after March, when my hectic work period is over. Kind regards boogie man !
Snakehips O'Donnell.    O0

Offline eric

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2005, 07:10:37 PM »
Tonk,
That's the real thing!.  Nice.
--
Eric

Offline snakehips

• Hi there !
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2005, 04:59:37 AM »
Hi there !

To a2tom !

Can I just add to confirm, that honkytonk is not in fact, Prof Scratchy !
However, Prof Scratchy is becoming a fine piano player - mainly I've heard his Jimmy Yancy style. While understandably not full of confidence, he is actually better at it than he thinks ! I used to be able to coax him into playing a piano number at gigs, once in a while.

I think I'll bring my e. piano to jam session tonight - see if I can check on his piano playing progress.

Makes me worried cause he might beat me at piano as well as guitar, soon enough !
 O0

PS - he is quite good at mandolin too (something of which I haven't a clue how to play !)

dabluz

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2005, 07:20:13 AM »
wow, thats some good stuff 8)

Tags: piano 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal