collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I can't see ya, but I can smell ya! - Blind Lemon Jefferson quoted by Steve James, Texas Blues, Blues Revue #30 Aug/Sept 1997

Author Topic: need a good 12 string  (Read 3392 times)

leonard

need a good 12 string
« on: February 10, 2007, 05:35:46 AM »
Ain't this a sweet site.  This is my 1st post.  I need a 12 string that plays good,and sounds like a piano. Mike Hauver fixed my Martin. I'd like one of his. just can't afford one. Can anyone recommend a affordable one. I live a couple hundred miles from any music store with a selection.
Is it likely I'll find something I like for 750.00 before I take the ride to DC.
I know I won't find anything ladder braced. Are the Guilds nice?
Thanks Lost Lenny

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: need a good 12 string
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 06:07:44 AM »
Welcome Leonard! If you're looking for something affordable with great sound, I would recommend you try to check out a Larrivee L-03 12. It won't replace an old Stella ladder-braced 12 or a new one from the guys building them today. But it's a nice guitar.

Another option is to find a Harmony 12 from the 60s that sounds pretty good.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 06:10:24 AM by uncle bud »

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 06:25:51 AM »
Keep your eyes on the inventory of instruments for sale at Neil Harpe's setllaguitars.com.  He's got a couple of 60s Harmony 12 strings there now for under $1,000.  And Mike Hauver does the repairs and setup work for Neil.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 07:25:46 AM by dj »

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 08:17:10 AM »
I have a Stella Harmony from the 60's, ladder braced which sounds good - nothing like as powerful as a Stella though. As was said, Neil has some showing with some sound samples.

I find mine records well and sounds fine (tuned down to B) until you hear the real thing, so as a half way house, and preferable to the more modern stuff I would recommend one.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 05:15:55 PM »
Just thought I'd add a plug for Fraulini Guitars in this topic. Since picking up my early model Angelina 2nd hand a few weeks back I've become a confirmed 12 string nut. I got very lucky the day I found it, it's now the guitar I reach for first. When I pick up a 6-string at first it seems to be missing half its strings, though I generally can adjust. Playing a good 12 has helped my playing all round, specifically more control of bass runs, hammer-ons and pull-offs, alternating strumming with picking, and generally learning a lot of new material.

I've settled on tuning it down to B, though have had it way lower and and a little higher. Todd Cambio is a frequent poster on the board and his website is at http://www.fraulini.com/ - when I win the lottery the first thing I'll do is order a dream ladder-braced Fraulini 12 string guitar.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 09:44:44 PM »
Guilds are good and piano like, but they are at the opposite end of the spectrum soundwise from a ladder braced Stella. They have gobs of sustain and resonance which tends to obscure a lot of fast fingerpicking, Ditto Taylors. Breedloves, are Ok and have a bit of a drier sound but are too pricey for what they are. I just played a used $400. dreadnaught shaped Seagull which seemed pretty OK to me in a number of ways. It was fairly loud, was midrange dominant, played easily, with good resistance and no twelve string mush, and had some of the sound character of the older twelves, without the same degree of bass or volume of course. I thought , hey I could live with this, especially at the price. It is a remarkably undistinguished guitar visually however. I would be sorely tempted to paint it or decorate it in some way, rhinestones perhaps, but thats just me. It was at first Flight music here in NYC

http://www.firstflightmusic.com/used_guitars.html
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline daddystovepipe

• daddystovepipe youtube
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 08:24:29 AM »
I really love my late 60ies Gibson LG12; bought it for $699 on ebay a couple years ago.
It has a comfortable size, plays easy and sounds good enough for blues.

I used to string it with extra lights and tuned it down to D
Here's an example

Now I've strung it with mediums (012-056) and tuned it down to C
Another example

These and others like the B-series often pop up on ebay and are well worth to investigate.

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 12:13:43 PM »
Hey, as long as we're having fun with the 12-stringers, here's what this one sounds like (60's Stella/Harmony played w/ bare fingers, tuned low):

Regards, Tom

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 01:14:03 PM by onewent »

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 02:55:16 PM »
BTW, I wanted to comment on DaddyS's playing ..very nice sounding Gibson 12, you have a nice sense of rhythm and timing .. and I wanted to ask if the LG12's are ladder brace, like LG1's, or x-braced like LG2's?  ..thanks, enjoyed your post..Tom

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 03:47:39 PM »
Really loved "Mr Stovepipe's go the Blues" Carl - terrific.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal