collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I heard them bring that old Iron Curtain down on me - Sleepy John Estes visits eastern Europe, The Voice of the Blues

Author Topic: The Big Bill Broonzy Story on Verve  (Read 1774 times)

Offline ryan

The Big Bill Broonzy Story on Verve
« on: September 16, 2004, 07:18:12 PM »
I was caught up in a rainy weather traffic jam today on my way home from work.? I was listening to a 3 cd set called " The Big Bill Broonzy Story" on Verve and I thought man I'm going to go home and write a post about this collection.......and here was a fresh Big Bill thread. This collection has a great version of the song you wanted "The glory of Love."? The sound quality is great on these recordings, and it is an added treat hearing Bill's genuine recollections of each of the songs performed.? It is a wonderful frozen piece of history!!? I would have loved to sit down and talk about his many life stories!!? Here is the all music review:
"This three-CD set (originally five LPs) was a product of three recording sessions, held on July 12 and 13, 1957, immediately before Broonzy entered the hospital for surgery on the lung cancer that would end his career and take his life just a year later. He sounds in good enough spirits, and the voice and guitar are still in excellent form as he runs through the songs that evidently mattered most to him on those two days: "Key to the Highway," "Take This Hammer," "See See Rider," "Alberta," "Frankie and Johnny," "In the Evening (When the Sun Goes Down)," "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot," and more than two dozen others. Producer Bill Randle didn't get a lot of the songs he'd hoped to record, such as "Stack O Lee" and "Night Time Is the Right Time," which Broonzy didn't want to sing, but he got enough for five LPs' worth of music out of the ten hours of recordings. (Did the rest survive, one wonders, and might there be anything that was left off that's worth hearing?) The sound is state of the art, with the singer and his solo acoustic guitar clean and close. The set is a vital and important document, as well as great listening, not only for the music but for Broonzy's between-song banter ?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 10:06:21 PM by Johnm »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal