collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I'm worried they won't understand my brogue - Bill Williams, expressing concern to John Miller and Nick Perls with regard to performing for audiences at the 1974 Smithsonian Folklife Festival:

Author Topic: Lightnin' Hopkins Tabs  (Read 10213 times)

blind rat blues

Lightnin' Hopkins Tabs
« on: January 26, 2005, 04:31:05 PM »
Hi guys and gals,I need help finding Lightnin'guitar tabs there seems only to be about 4 or 5 on the net so if anyone here can help I would be very grateful.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 04:32:09 PM by blind rat blues »

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
Re: Lightnin' Hopkins Tabs
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 11:16:50 PM »
Hi BRB:

In my collection I have:

Baby, Please Don't Go in "The Roots of Acoustic Blues Guitar" by Fred Sokolow (1999)

Penitentairy Blues, Airplane Blues and Coolin' Board Blues in "Texas Blues" by Stefan Grossman (1984)

Hope this helps,
Alex

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 09:44:00 AM »
Stefan Grossman's Guitar workshop also has produced a video on Lightnin' by Ernie Hawkins, who does an excelllent job of elucidating Lightnin's styles in various keys including Pull A Party, Goin' Down Slow. Shinin' Moon, Baby Please Don't Go, and others. After working thru this video you would not have a difficult time working out much of Lightnin's material on your own. Well worth it.
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 10:05:38 AM »
...and some very good performance footage to observe Lightnin's style.
Personally I like Stefan Grossman's Guitar Workshop instruction, I find it is the best material to learn Country Blues, especially for a Level 1.5 (like me).
Gary
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

blind rat blues

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 12:44:35 AM »
Thanks for the info blues guys.

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2005, 04:42:01 AM »
I  remember buying a book of Lightnin' tab a few years ago - can't find it, but it was published by Hal Leonard and included quite a few very good transcriptions of LH's Gold Star sessions. Try the Hal Leaonard site to see if its still in print.

Phil

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2005, 05:47:19 PM »
Dan Bowden (was on Berklee faculty, may still be there) did two books of transcriptions in the mid-1990's. Amazon shows them as being out-of-print, but you might try here:
http://members.aol.com/dbow/catalog.htm

I have the first one, and it is quite simple, but could help you get the feel of a piece. However, you pretty well have to have the source that each transcription was done from, and since Lightnin' wasn't afraid to record, they are all over the place.

Good luck.
Cheers,
FrontPage

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2005, 07:31:02 PM »
Kenny Sultan does a nice tab book.  % different artists - one is Lightin' Hokins:

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/store/smp_inside.html?cart=12922281927&sku=HL.181&page=01

Cheers,
slack

blind rat blues

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2005, 01:00:29 AM »
Thanks again guys for the extra info I was looking for free tabs if there are any around I'm on a pension the funds are scarce.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 01:08:52 AM by blind rat blues »

Offline Jilkes

• Yeah, baby, yeah!!
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2005, 05:04:38 AM »
If it's of any interest I'm about half way through creating a tab for "Blues in a Bottle" from an track on an old Mike Raven blues sampler album I have.  You're welcome to a copy whenever I get round to finishing it.  :D

Having problems working out the lyrics he uses. Any help with these would be appreciated as would any links to transcriptions of the lyrics for anyone else's versions of this song.

Lightnin' had a habit of making verses up as he went along and if he couldn't think anything to match the first line he'd just mumble (he got away with it because he did it with a certain style  :) )

regards,

Keith

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal