collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
If we want everything to stay as it is, everything will have to change - from The Leopard by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lamedusa

Author Topic: Johnny Shines' "Delta Pines"  (Read 2057 times)

Offline Coyote Slim

• coyoteslim.com
Johnny Shines' "Delta Pines"
« on: August 21, 2009, 12:22:00 PM »
As an avid Shines fan and someone who primarily figures things out on his own, it took me a while to get around to the point where I realized I wasn't going to figure this one out just by listening and messing around.  The lyrics I have no problem with, I've pretty much got them memorized.  But he's doing so much on the guitar I can't even tell what tuning he's in.  Anyone got any ideas?
Puttin' on my Carrhartts, I gotta work out in the field.

Coyote Slim's Youtube Channel

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Re: Johnny Shines' "Delta Pines"
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 02:25:27 PM »
Is the tune you mean Delta Pine Blues - recorded in the 40s, or Delta Pine, which sounds like it was recorded in the 60s or 70s...  that last one is on the 'Traditional Delta Blues' CD on Biograph.  They both sound like they're in std tuning, key of E.  Delta Pine Blues has more of a shuffle rhythm, Delta Pine is faster, and has more of a 4-beat feel: 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and...  less of a triplet feel.

he could be tuned lower or higher than the E, but it definitely sounds like he's playing in E position on both.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 02:29:47 PM »
Delta Pine Blues also has a totally slick break - just awesome...  busts out of first position a little and is just perfectly executed.

Offline Coyote Slim

• coyoteslim.com
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 05:25:54 PM »
The later ones -- the early one has the same/ similar lyrics but a different rhythm.  In addition to the Biograph recording there's one on another CD on Rounder that was recorded live in Washington state, I believe.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 12:14:58 AM »
In addition to the Biograph recording there's one on another CD on Rounder that was recorded live in Washington state, I believe.
Can you spot it among this lot? http://www.wirz.de/music/shinefrm.htm

Offline Coyote Slim

• coyoteslim.com
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 07:56:35 PM »
Yep, Bunker, it's the "Hey-Ba-Ba-Re-Bop" album.  Recorded in Boston, not Washington.  Wow!  Looks like I've got some Shines shopping to do....

Offline Coyote Slim

• coyoteslim.com
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 06:24:35 PM »
Man... tough fast runs...  I've got some of it down... now I don't want to play anything else 'till I get it.

Tags: Johnny Shines 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal