collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I love my girl like a schoolboy loves his pie, like a Kentucky white man loves his rock & rye. I love my girl until the day I die - Jim Jackson, St Louis Blues, 1930

Author Topic: I've remastered a few Charlie Patton tracks. I'd appreciate some input.  (Read 5501 times)

Offline sworkshop

Re: I've remastered a few Charlie Patton tracks. I'd appreciate some input.
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2011, 12:07:43 AM »
"Thanks for the tip on this CD.  I haven't made a full comparison yet with The Definitive Charley Patton - what I had considered the best noise-reduced Patton set - but at least many tracks on Devil Sent Rain Blues are superior (some remarkably so)."

I digress for a moment to talk Patton collections:

'The Definitive is my second favorite goto when I want reduced noise, but 'Devil' really does a great job.

Yazoo is fantastic, but of course very noisy because that is their policy and I respect that.

Finally, Revenent set is a must have, but they often have some of the worst quality records...it has surface noise like Yazoo, but in some cases I believe they had different platters. The whole package, interviews, video, books they give you still make it it a winner.

Back to topic: this mixes this fellow has done are very very good, and I am interested in how he made the choice to use a different tempo. It works for me. I've heard about slowing down Robert Johnson all the time, but not Patton.

Offline misterjones

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2011, 07:51:11 AM »
Back to topic: this mixes this fellow has done are very very good, and I am interested in how he made the choice to use a different tempo. It works for me. I've heard about slowing down Robert Johnson all the time, but not Patton.

To digress myself . . . I noticed a couple of the Devil Sent the Rain Blues tracks were slightly slower in pitch than the Definitive versions.  I don't know if this was intentional or which one is correct.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 07:52:23 AM by misterjones »

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2011, 04:53:56 PM »
Hi:

If your still taking requests and would like a real toughie, I'd love to hear Blind Blake's "A New Style of Lovin'" cleaned up. It is the most whuped tune I've ever tried to learn the guitar part of, especially the first sung verse.

BTW I love what you've done. I don't especially like the noisy tracks, terrible to listen to! As a test, I played your cleaned up Pattons to a couple of friends who won't listen to old blues records for exactly this reason. They were very impressed and even let me play the second one, which they always stop me from doin' (no more of that old s**t).

Alex

Offline Bed Bug Bill

• Howdy!
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2012, 04:59:13 AM »
hi,
new member.just joined,so may be late for this thread.
I think the clean up of these patton tracks are superb.
Regardless of the ease or availability of the software,you definately have the ear.so,thanks very much for posting these.
I am not very clever with computers but will investigate this software and try some stuff.
Once owned two patton 78's,when your way gets dark on 78 through headphones used to sound as he was in the room with me.
Patton was/is the ultimate pinnicle of country blues in my mind,to me,
no one ever came close,so these were very enjoyable for me to hear.
If you ever get the time,I would love to hear what you could do to
Circle round the moon ,it would be amazing to hear whats actually going on.
Thanks again.keep going.

Offline Annette

• Howdy!
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 11:14:53 AM »
I always liked that saying:

"The remastering is great - Charley Patton has never been so clearly incomprehensible before"

Annette
Annette

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2012, 07:13:16 PM »
Annette, do you know where that quote comes from? It deserves to be added to the quote oracle.

Offline Annette

• Howdy!
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2012, 08:49:59 AM »
I think it was from Juke Blues or Blues & Rhythm - but don't have any mags any more.

Annette
Annette

Tags: Charlie Patton  

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal