collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
We used to go to different people's houses, you know. In those days I mean they could hear music and - if somebody could play an instrument, man, they would get up at night, from one o'clock; and they'd fix food and they'd have drinks and they'd stay up till five, six o'clock in the morning and give you money. It wasn't a dance but a serenade; we'd go from house to house. In those days there wasn't too much things like juke boxes, high fidelity sound, wasn't nothing like that then; and whenever somebody could play and could play well, he was considered as somebody; he could go anywhere and he had it made, you know? - Baby Doo Caston, on playing music in Natchez in the 1920s, interview with Jeff Todd Titon

Author Topic: Stuff that Dreams are Made of CD Yazoo  (Read 5513 times)

Offline SpikeDriver

• Howdy!
Stuff that Dreams are Made of CD Yazoo
« on: March 15, 2006, 07:51:00 PM »
Here is the Track Listing for Stuff That Dreams are Made of on Yazoo
 Track Listings

Disc: 1
1. FREENY'S BARN DANCE BAND: Croquet Habits
2. SON HOUSE: Mississippi County Farm Blues
3. GEORGIA POT LICKERS: Up Jumped the Rabbit
4. MEMPHIS MINNIE & JOE McCOY: I'm Going Back Home
5. WILMER WATTS & THE LONELY EAGLES: Fightin' In the War With Spain
6. JOHN BYRD: Old Timbrook Blues
7. ERNEST PHIPPS AND HIS HOLINESS SINGERS: A Little Talk With Jesus
8. TOMMY JOHNSON: Slidin' Delta
9. THE THREE STRIPED GEARS: Alabama Blues
10. JACK GOWDLOCK: Rollin Dough Blues
11. KENTUCKY RAMBLERS: Ginseng Blues
12. OLLIS MARTIN: Police and High Sheriff Come Ridin' Down
   13. ROY HARVEY & JESS JOHNSTON AND THE WEST VIRGINIA RAMBLERS: John Hardy Blues
14. LONG "CLEEVE" REED & LITTLE HARVEY HULL - The Down Home Boys: Original Stack O' Lee Blues
15. AMEDIE ARDOIN & DENNIS McGEE: Two Step De La Prairie Soileau
16. ANDREW & JIM BAXTER: Operator Blues
17. J.D. HARRIS: The Grey Eagle
18. MEMPHIS JUG BAND: Jim Strainer Blues
19. GRAYSON COUNTY RAILSPLITTERS: Ain't That Trouble In Mind (unissued)
20. DOCK BOGGS: Old Rub Alcohol Blues
21. JAYBIRD COLEMAN: Mistreatin' Mama
22. HENRY WHITTER: It's a Rough Road to Georgia (unissued)
23. REV. B.L. WIGHTMAN WITH LOTTIE KIMBROUGH & CONGREGATION: Live the Life

Disc: 2
1. YANK RACHEL WITH SLEEPY JOHN ESTES & JAB JONES: Sweet Mama
2. CROWDER BROTHERS: We All Love Mother (unissued)
3. SON HOUSE: Clarksdale Moan
4. ASHLEY & FOSTER: Bull Dog Sal (unissued)
5. JESSE "BABYFACE" THOMAS: Down In Texas Blues
6. GEORGIA POT LICKERS: Chicken Don't Roost Too High
7. WILLIAM HARRIS: I'm Leavin' Town (But I Sho' Don't Wanna Go)
8. ASA MARTIN & ROY HOBBS: Wild Cat Rag
9. KING SOLOMON HILL: Whoopee Blues (alternate take)
10. CHUBBY PARKER: Davey Crockett
11. GEESHIE WILEY: Skinny Leg Blues
12. SWEET BROTHERS: I'm Gonna Marry That Pretty Little Girl
   13. BLIND ROOSEVELT GRAVES & VAROY GRAVES: I Shall Not Be Moved
14. SMITH & IRVINE: Lonesome Road Blues
15. LUKE JORDON: If I Call You Mama
16. GRAYSON & WHITTER: My Mind Is To Marry (unissued)
17. OSEY HELTON: Green River
18. LOTTIE KIMBROUGH: Don't Speak To Me
19. WADE WARD: Married Man's Blues (unissued)
20. KEN MAYNARD: Sweet Betsey From Pike (unissued)
21. JAYBIRD COLEMAN: Boll Weevil
22. BILL SHEPHERD WITH HAYES SHEPHERD & ED WEBB: Bound Steel Blues
23. MIDDLE GEORGIA SINGING CONVENTION NO. 1: Bells Of Love

Offline outfidel

Re: Stuff that Dreams are Made of CD Yazoo
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 08:16:28 AM »
"The Dead Sea Scrolls of record collecting!"  :)

Support musicians in need - join the Music Maker Relief Foundation

Offline btasoundsradio

• the artist formerly known as powerlinehorizon
    • BTA Sounds Radio: Podcast of Obscure Musics
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 11:14:03 AM »
They're the recently discovered missing 78 from the Grafton 1930 session.
Charlie is the Father, Son is the Son, Willie is the Holy Ghost

Offline outfidel

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 07:27:07 AM »
Here's how Roots & Rhythm describes Stuff that Dreams are Made of:

Order now and be the first on your block to hear two never before reissued Son House tracks from 1930! Paramount Records issued four 78s by Son - three of which have been in the hands of a few collectors for many years and have been reissued many times. Now some lucky bugger has found the fourth disc and Yazoo is sharing these recordings with us. By all reports these sides are wonderful, which comes as no surprise considering the quality of the other titles from that one mythical session. Joining Son on this two CD, 46 track collection is an astonishing collection of ultra rare and wonderful country blues and hillbilly music from the 20s and early 30s including several previously unissued titles. Artists include The Georgia Pot Likkers (an impossibly rare country 78 from 1930 featuring the duet fiddling of Lowe Stokes & A.A.Gray), Freeny's Barn Dance, Memphis Minnie & Joe McCoy, Ernest Phipps & His Holiness Singers, Jack Gowdlock, Roy Harvey & Jess Johnston, Andrew & Jim Baxter, The Grayson County Railsplitters, Henry Whitter, The Crowder Brothers, Jesse "Babyface" Thomas, Asa Martin & Roy Hobbs, Geeshie Wiley, Smith & Irvine, Wade Ward, Jaybird Coleman and others. Includes specially comissioned cover art from R.Crumb and booklet with extensive notes and graphics and "an expose" on the lunacy of record collecting. Knowing Yazoo the sound quality should be exceptional as one would expect from a release this important. Official release date is April 4th.
Support musicians in need - join the Music Maker Relief Foundation

Offline jharris

• Big Road Blues
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 06:34:33 AM »
I stumbled upon a very interesting link that contains a 1965 interview with Son House: http://tinyurl.com/kapuf

In the he interview he has this to say about the newly discovered "Mississippi County Farm Blues:"

Art Laibly wanted the artists to do a version of a popular Jefferson song. "I want all of you, either one of you. I?m not gonna pick so much on the words and they don?t have to be the same words that he used on See That My Grave Is Kept Clean just let it be words that rhyme, pertaining to the title of the song but I want that BEAT in there that he had."

So we stayed up all night trying to find that beat. Me, Charlie, Willie. So finally before we started I finally tuned in Spanish and finally getting the feeling, picking on the g string?right down to the B and the E of first, carried it out. Oh, Oh Charlie I believe I got it! ? Let?s hear it!?Yea man, that?s it!

After finding the beat, House and Patton worked on the lyrics. House wrote the lines down so he wouldn?t forget it and practised the song until 9 o?clock.

In the studio Son House said to Laibly: "Put your mike on see how you like this".

He said "You think you got the beat" ? "I think so". House sang the first two verses that Lemon sang. The rest of the lyrics were made up by House.

Before I got halfway Laibly put the light on, Laibly came out of the recording room and said "Hold it, hold it, hold it, that?s it! Don?t whip another rock!".

He ran back in and put the wax on and gave the go ahead sign. House named the song Mississippi County Farm and Laibly approved of the title.

After I got back to Lula, MS then he mailed us the records, issued records, no test pressings. We could not bring them from Grafton as they did not have copies available.

This corresponds to what Richard Nevins of Yazoo said about the song in a recent Living Blues:

"It's sort of a variant of See That My Grave Is Kept Clean, which most people know from Blind Lemon Jefferson and many other people. It's the same melody but done in a very powerful style...different words of course. And the other side [Clarksdale Moan], I don't know what you would call that. It's a bit offbeat, different than other Son House stuff. I don't know what the melody would relate to. It doesn't jump out at me. That's a good side. Mississippi County Farm is a great side."

Offline Montgomery

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 09:34:58 AM »
I've heard the Son House tracks.  "Miss. County Farm" is indeed the same as the 1940 version, but played about twice as fast.  I think it's possibly House's best Paramount.  "Clarksdale Moan" is a non-slide piece with a strong vocal, and is excellent by most standards, but not in the same league as House's best recordings.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 10:19:03 AM »
Thanks for the update, Montgomery. Only days away now and we all get to hear it...

downthedirtroad

stuff dreams are made of (yazoo) - consensus?
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 12:45:47 PM »
hello,
i was considering purchasing the new yazoo compilation "stuff dreams are made of" but however, i was just wondering if the weenie campbell community could alert me to whether it's worth the purchase besides the newly discovered son house sides?  does it hold up well to repeated listens?  i dont want to be hard on it, but i already have many similar compilations, and having just gotten through american primitive vol. II i am hungry for a similar compilation of pre-war music - however i'm not too crazy about some of the tracks listed on the new yazoo release.

any opinions, consensus etc?

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: stuff dreams are made of (yazoo) - consensus?
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 01:01:18 PM »
Any particular tracks you're not crazy about so we have a reference point?

My personal opinion is that it's an essential set. The new tracks by Son House, and cleaned up tracks by Tommy Johnson, Luke Jordan, Lottie Kimbrough and others make it essential to me. I've found though that the tracks by artists I'm less familiar with -- i.e., the white dudes -- have been a big part of my enjoyment of this set as well. Ginseng Blues, Croquet Habits, Wild Cat Rag etc. I've been listening to it a lot.

You can request tracks from the Juke as the set is on there.

downthedirtroad

Re: stuff dreams are made of (yazoo) - consensus?
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 01:12:49 PM »
hmm.
i mean it looks well enough (with the song selection and beautiful packaging), but to me at least it bears a lot of ressemblance to the "times ain't like they used to be" yazoo series that previously unveiled the cleaned up king solomon hill, bo weavil jackson and blind joe reynolds sides.  I had previously picked up vols. 7 and 8 of that series and while it was excellent quality music, i was just wondering if it was in the same guise.  Also, how are the liner notes?  Having purchased a similar collection (Joe bussard's basement (?) on old hat record) i was wondering if the yazoo collection has comparable booklet?

song wise (in regards to tracks that i am unsure about), one that comes to mind is the blind roosevelt graves version of "i shall not be moved"  i had an opportunity to check it out on amazon.com.  another matter that i was wondering about was why didnt yazoo include the flipside to slidin delta, i wonder to myself on the compilation?  although it is a lighthearted track, it's pretty unique in the tommy johnson oeuvre release-wise.  i figure that song would benefit from a cleaner copy, like it's flipside slidin' delta did. 

to be honest, upon second thought, i'm going to pick it up, as yazoo has never really dissapointed me with their recent releases (the cleaned up skip james and both recent charlie patton(s) comes to mind.  however, still, what are the opinions of the weenie campbell community?

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 02:09:06 PM »
i was wondering if the yazoo collection has comparable booklet

I'm not familiar with the booklet for Joe Bussard's Basement", but for me the booklet accompanying The Stuff Dreams Are Made Of is a major disappointment.  It's an essay about collecting and the collector's mentality, with a concentration on collecting 78 rpm records.  There's almost nothing about the music.  No recording dates, no listing of musicians on each track, no indication of why you or I or anyone else should care about most of the songs, except for their rarity.  For me, this isn't much of a problem with the blues tracks, as I have a fair amount of knowledge there and a few reference books and a lot of LP/CD notes to supplement my knowledge.  But for the non-blues tracks, I'm often clueless, and the booklet is no help. 

I'd still recommend the set to anyone who asks.  There's a lot of great music there.  But the packaging is frustrating, to say the least.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 08:40:58 AM »
If you're comparing it to Old Hat liner notes, there's no comparison. Old Hat do a great job. Yazoo could do a lot better on the notes. I agree with dj. There is almost no information about the artists or recordings which is disappointing. The essay on obsessive collecting is entertaining (if poorly edited). Listening to the Rich Nevins interview on NPR, it seemed to me the concept was to make fun of 78 collecting and that's what you get in the packaging, Crumb cartoons and all. The music is another story. At $19.99 Canadian for a double CD at amazon.ca you can buy it and and have lots left over to complain about the notes all you like. It's still essential, IMO. It is very much like the Times Ain't Like They Used to Be sets with regards to the music.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2006, 12:39:34 PM »
Hi all,
Not that the musical shortcomings of the liner notes to "The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of" need to be dwelled on more after dj's and Uncle Bud's observations, but just to give a couple of specific instances where I would particularly like to have more information than the notes provide:
   * Who was Jack Gowdlock, who performs "Rollin' Dough Blues" on the set?  Is there information on him in "Blues & Gospel", or perhaps in the recent Tony Russell book that outlines similar information on Old-Time and Cajun recordings?  Gowdlock sounds to be a white player with a very strong playing style.  "Rollin' Dough Blues" is instrumentally somewhat similar to Bo Carter's signature lick on "Get Back Old Devil", but it is considerably rougher and rawer.  It's a very strong cut.
   * Does anyone know the identity of the second guitarist on William Harris's "I'm Leavin' Town (But I Sho' Don't Want To Go)"?  It's a bit baffling, because the liner booklet shows a reprint of the record's label, which lists "William Harris acc. by guitar".  It's a great duet, with Harris capoed to the fifth fret, finger-picking out of G, standard tuning, and the mystery accompanist flat-picking, by the sound of it, out of C, standard tuning, uncapoed.  They even engage in some banter at one point.
These are just a couple of examples of the kind of information I would have been happy to find in the liner notes, rather than the tale of the biggest wishbone collection.  Musically, it is such a great set that it is hard to be too upset about it, though.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2006, 03:54:56 PM »
FWIW, I also love the set, but would have liked to see much fuller info on the cuts and the musicians. However, sometimes a little good natured humor is in order--liner notes (or lack thereof) aside, where would we be and what would we be listening to without the record collectors and their obsession?

Perhaps we can put together some supplementary info on the cuts/artists and post it here in bits and pieces as time goes on.

In the meantime, "I ain't gonna dig no ginseng, I ain't gonna hunt no squirrel"...

Online eric

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2006, 04:06:16 PM »
Hi John,

For Jack Gowdlock, there are only 4 entries in B&G, all recorded Friday May 29, 1931 for Victor:
You'd Better Mind
Have You Been Converted
Poor Jane Blues
Rollin' Dough Blues

The first two are accompanied by Blind Gussie Nesbitt (!) vocal and guitar.

On I'm Leavin Town, B&G sez: Joe Robinson is first guitar and spoken asides, and William Harris is 2nd guitar.

Cheers,  Eric
--
Eric

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal