collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Well I wanna know girl, what in the world you eat makes your breath smell like your feet. - Ralph Willis, "Going To Virginia"

Author Topic: Centrum/Ft Worden - What do you value?  (Read 2280 times)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Centrum/Ft Worden - What do you value?
« on: January 06, 2005, 09:27:17 AM »
OK Weenies,

I received this in yesterdays email - sent to Centrum donors, but I think if they have a website form - it applies to all. :)

This may be Fort Warden trying to un-Grandfather Centrum's 32 yr summer use of the State Park, or put another way, it may be the beginning of Fort Worden's initiative to displace Centrum's summer monopoly and replace it with more lucrative conference bookings?? - so it may be important to give them some positive feedback on Centrum's behalf.? Centrum's site is:? http://www.centrum.org? ?They did not give much notice, but take a few minutes and tell them what you think.

---snip---
Happy New Year,

We're sorry to bother you so early in the year, but we wanted to include you in a process that is determining what the future might hold for Fort Worden State Park.

As you know, Centrum and Fort Worden State Park were created 32 years ago to be a center for participation in the arts, recreation, and creative development.

The Fort Worden Advisory Committee is hosting a gathering this Thursday, January 6, 2005 from 6-9pm at the Fort Worden Commons to talk about the potential of the Park, and to begin work on developing a Vision for the Future. If you live in town, we hope you can attend.

Many of you do not live in Port Townsend and therefore would be unable to attend this meeting. However, as a supporter of Centrum, your input is critical.

We have created a form on our website where you can tell us what you value about Centrum and Fort Worden State Park, and share your hopes and ideas for the future.

Please visit http://www.centrum.org and click on "Tell us what you value about Centrum & Fort Worden."

We will collect the responses and give them to the Fort Worden Advisory Committee.

If it is more convenient, please feel free to reply to this email with your thoughts--we'll be sure to include them.

Thank you for your time. We are looking forward to an exciting year of workshops, performances, and residencies--and hope that you will share your support of the original vision for this incredible piece of real estate.

Keven Elliff

Centrum

---snip---
« Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 05:21:53 PM by waxwing »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Centrum/Ft Worden - What do you value?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 01:08:27 PM »
Thanks Slack, sent in my comments (forgot to save them from the form or would have posted them here). I'd encourage workshop participants to let 'em know what you think.

Offline markm

• Mark McDonald Blues
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 02:16:23 PM »
I emailed my response today (before the deadline).  I encourage everyone else to do so.

My copy was:

For me the Centrum Blues Workshop is one of the highlights of my year and therefore I can certainly count it as
a highlight of my life.  The inspiration, instruction, fellowship, and comraderie that occurs every year at Fort Worden is beyond reproduction anywhere and any place else on the planet.  The devotion of the staff and the enthusiasm of the student body is truly inspirational.

I have only been attending for two years but I plan to make it a lifelong ritual.  The friends I have made and the music that has resulted will be with me forever.  I personally have grown musically beyond what I would have without Centrum.  That is a result of the fabulous instruction from the staff and the learning experience from fellow students. 

If there is anything I can personally do to further the Centrum cause I will certainly do so.

Mark McDonald

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 05:31:18 PM »
My reply, writing on the fly with a short deadline.

Although last year was my first at Centrum and Fort Worden State Park the two combined have given me a place to learn music. Fort Worden gives me a beautiful, quiet, distraction free place to implement the tools and teachers Centrum provides.
Another benefit of the combination of Centrum and Fort Worden is the number of friendships created throughout the world, people making connections through their common goal.
At the end of last year's Country Blues Workshop I had already started making plans for 2005, and I hope the Centrum/Fort Worden relationship lasts for many years to come.
Thanks,
Gary Davis
2004 Country Blues Workshop
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Offline Peter McCracken

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 09:03:47 AM »
Thanks you all, for your help. It's been a long and complicated process, and it'll continue to be so I'm sure. If anyone's interested, I'll send them my version of the history of Fort Worden and Centrum, but it seems a bit bulky to post here. Let me know - peter@centrum.org.

Pedro

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 04:43:10 PM »
Like uncle Bud, I posted to the Centrum web site yesterday, but did not have the foresight to clip my comments across to here. Needless to say, it was a postive discourse.

Pedro - I'd be interested in the "Readers Digest Condensed" version of the Centrum - Fort Worden history. I think I've heard most of it, but a little history lesson every now and then is good for the soul. Good to hear from you. Think of me in the snow and cold!
Cheers,
FrontPage

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2005, 04:31:35 PM »
Just got back from vacation, saw the e from Centrum, and replied, but forgot to save the snip...dang it!
I love my blues camp , and would sorely miss it if Centrum is canned by the Fort.
I love Blues Camp! Blues Camp Rules!
Miller :P
Do good, be nice, eat well, smile, treat the ladies well, and ignore all news reports--which  can't be believed anyway,

Buzz

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal