collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
When I was hitch-hiking, people had to follow me, 'cause I didn't stay long - Brownie McGhee

Author Topic: 2005 workshop  (Read 9517 times)

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
2005 workshop
« on: December 16, 2004, 12:33:30 PM »
Isn't it about time some rumors started flying about what the instructor lineup will be for next year?

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: 2005 workshop
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 03:15:07 PM »
Hmmm, I was thinkin' the same thing. Maybe someone oughta drop a dime on Peter. Come to think of it, Jed's been pretty quite lately, too. But I am encouraged to hear that you are curious, Frank.
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 07:18:04 AM »
I'm always curious, just not often in a position to act on it.  It would be nice to hear some hints as to what's in store for next year, though.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 07:26:55 AM »
Hear, hear. Anyone heard from Peter lately? Peter, Gayle Dean Wardlow wants to get in touch with you. Contact me for info...

Anyone know if Phil is doing the Artistic Director thing again?

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 08:04:48 AM »
Peter has not logged on for about 3 months - so you might email him.

cheers,

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 08:10:11 AM »
He's no doubt busy planning the best workshop yet...  ;D

Thanks, will email him.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 08:18:42 AM »
Hmmm, I'm betting it is that new family he just started.  :D

Offline Peter McCracken

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 10:48:22 AM »
Apologies, friends. Something's wrong with my computer at home, and I don't generally ween-ize at Centrum.

We're almost wired for workshop faculty. Confirmed: Louisiana Red, with the mighty Dora; John and Phil; John Miller; Del Rey; Steve James; Lightnin', and he's bringing George Higgs, who in turn is hopefully bringing his wife (George is a NC bluesman); Mike Dowling from Colorado; Cary and Lurrie Bell; Paul Geremia; Daryl Davis; Rich Del Grosso; Suzy Thompson; Gaye Adegbalola, with Roddy Barnes (Roddy will lead the gospel choir); Terry "Harmonica" Bean, a sort of one-man band; Uncle Jesse White from Detroit (an elder piano staesman); and Dean Mueller from Portland on bass.

We have room for at least one more person, and Phil has an invitation extended (Robert Jones). And he's trying to sneak in two others. Otherwise, that's it.

The workshop will be pretty much the same, with a few tweaks - one day longer, 2 levels of mandolin class, two levels of slide, a barbecue track (taught by Phil) - I thought the 15 gallons of margueritas were a nice touch, might be nice to recreate that.

Good to go?

Peter

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004, 01:21:45 PM »
Hey Peter!

Hip Hip Hooray!   Sounds like a Great lineup!

Thanks for the update!  I better get out my Centrum signature....

;D

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2004, 01:53:36 PM »
Looks great, Peter! Glad to see Paul coming back. I'm psyched. Robert Jones sounds like an interesting fellow. Never heard of him. 2 levels of mando class sounds good too although I bet people go to both  ;D

BBQ with Phil. Excellent idea! Also agree on the cocktails...

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2004, 02:05:07 PM »
Robert Jones

Is this him?

Looks like the site's down for the moment, but I've checked it out before.? Seems like an interesting guy.? I'm glad to hear that Paul's coming back, too.? And Suzy!

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2004, 02:05:51 PM »
Hi all:

Jeez, I guess this means I should start growing new brain cells to send to destruction this year.

Formula:
Unkie Bud + tequila (any form) = BLJ ? ? Yippeee!

I wonder how Ms. Rey will set the fashion world on fire this year.

Peter, How 'bout sneakin' in Tim Williams. He's not on faculty at Hornby Is. this year.

Looks good,
Alex
« Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 05:27:00 PM by waxwing »

Offline ryan

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2004, 08:59:08 PM »
Hi everyone, it will be my first time there so I am looking forward to meeting all of you guys/gals.  Has kelly joe Phelps ever taught there?  I think he would be awesome some year, and he lives in Vancouver, WA not all that far away.  Hope you all have a merry Christmas!!!
Ryan

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2004, 11:06:10 AM »
Yeah, looks like a great lineup, Peter. I'm excited to see Paul G. on the list, also. His last appearance was before I started coming. Lot's of returning friends, and also a few who will be missed (Ari, of course), but they'll be back in future years. "Great work" to you and Phil! See you all soon.
All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline markm

• Mark McDonald Blues
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2004, 01:17:27 PM »
What about Honey??  Doesn't sound like he will be there this year, eh.

Robert Jones, great selection.   Excellent instructor and powerful performer.

And the Bells.  How did we manage that?   Absolutely fantastic. 

Paul Geremia.  Wonderful.

What a lineup.  I really can't wait. 

Offline Reso1

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2004, 03:22:48 PM »
Well... I had to chime in on this thread! Paul Geremia!!!! Excellent. Cary & Lurrie Bell!!! Great harp!! Still on my wish list for Santa... Paul Rishell & Annie Raines, Guy Davis, Corey Harris, Alvin Youngblood Hart. All great players!!!

Happy Holidays to all, & thanks to Peter & all the other elves that make this happen!!

Lee in Sitka
I must say that I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the  library and read a book.

-Groucho Marx

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2004, 10:45:25 PM »
Peter - clearly you have been working hard to pull together such a fantastic line-up. I can hardly wait!
Is it too soon to start thinking about my annual string change?
Cheers,
FrontPage

Offline cmr

• Geological Sciences (work)
2005 workshop
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2004, 03:16:40 PM »
Hi all:
I have a few questions about the 2005 workshop.   I have never attended a guitar workshop, nor have I had lessons. Is the workhop accessible for a beginner-intermediate guitarist?  I've played the guitar for about 4 years.  Since the workshop is on first-come basis, is there a problem with registering by April, 05?  Also how can I find out about the cost for room and board at the Fort Worden dormitory?  Is the dormitory recommended?   
Thanks,  Charlie

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2004, 04:31:50 PM »
Hey Charlie,
There is instruction for any level of experience, and, everyone offers encouragement to those just coming to country blues. If you've been playing 4 years you'll do fine and there is guidance at the outset (Blues Buddies who been around a few years) to help you decide which classes to take. It's all about love of the music. Also be aware that this is not just a guitar workshop. One of the things that makes PT so exciting is that there are also harps, mandolins, basses, fiddles, pianos, banjos, washboards, jugs, bones, the works. There's a jugband class in the afternoons. I think registration opens in March so you'll probably be one of the earliest to sign up. Ask for a room facing Puget Sound in Building 225 to get the best view. The prices will be posted when registration opens. I think last year the whole thing, tuition, room and board was maybe $650. This year camp is an extra day longer (yea!) so that may increase by 15-20% but I don't know for sure. It is still one of the best deals around. The dorms are great, private single lockable rooms, and really the most convenient way to go, and the cafeteria food gets better every year. Jams go on every night 'til very late but one dorm has a curfew at 10, I think, if you need your shuteye. Most of us are sleep deprived the whole week. Absolutely the #1 must: a good recording device that you are familiar with and can operate easily. Minidisc recorders are a favorite altho' digital recorders are coming out that look real good. Many use portable tape recorders, too. You'll also learn that many of us Weenies rent housing and cook our own meals. Extra work but we enjoy it. You'll get to meet many of the folks on this board and a whole lot more. See you there.
All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline cmr

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2004, 10:47:21 PM »
Waxwing
Thanks for the encouragement.  Since I am only a 1/2 day drive away from PT, I will definitely try to attend the workshop.  At this point, I learn by listening to musical phrases numerous times and stuggle to duplicate it or use tab and still have to work at it.  I have never played the guitar with others, so it will be a new experience.  See you next summer.
Cheers, Charlie

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2004, 09:58:12 AM »
Hi Charlie,

What JohnC said.

You'll have a blast...  there are all skill levels, it does not matter what level you play at (no one will care if you are a hotshot player or not - it is not an easy skill!), and most of the learning is done when you get back home and listen to your tapes or MD's.  The only pre-requisite that I can think of that helps and this is only to get the most out of it, is to have some basic, rudimentary fingerpicking skills... whic, if you've been playing for 4 years - you've got 'em.

Cheers,
slack

Offline cmr

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2004, 11:15:42 PM »
Waxwing and Slack
OK, what is the deal with recording devices?

. Absolutely the #1 must: a good recording device that you are familiar with and can operate easily. Minidisc recorders are a favorite altho' digital recorders are coming out that look real good. Many use portable tape recorders, too. You'll also learn that many of us Weenies rent housing

Some move information about minidiscs would be great, since I am totally uninformed about recording devices.  Are there non-magneto-optical options (e.g., store on mini-hard drive)?   I am going to plan my summer travel schedule around the '05 workshop calendar.

Cheers,
Charlie

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2004, 09:48:03 AM »
Charlie,

You can find a bunch of info on minidisc recorders at http://minidisc.org/ , including the new high capacity recorders. Someone else may pipe up about the hard disk options, of which I know nothing but am curious.

Whatever you use, even if it's a recording walkman or portable tape recorder using good ol' cassettes, you should have something. There is so much information over the course of a week, you don't have a hope in hell of retaining it. I was listening to some of my recordings from last year recently and heard stuff I don't even remember... :P

UB

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2004, 11:06:01 AM »
Hi Charlie,

I think Uncle Bud meant http://minidisco.com   lot of good information there on mini-discs, which seem to be a popular option (and the disks now hold 1 gigabyte of data) - they are similar to cassette recorders but with the advantages of digital media (eg you can manipoulate tracks in various ways).   There were a few folks at PT that had MP3 recorders and I think that is a great option - the sound quality was just fine for workshop type recording and the advantage with MP3 is those hard drives hold a LOT of data.

For workshop recording, just about any recording device will work - but you might think about double duty to record your stuff - or to put your CD collection on a MP3 device.  I'll try to think of the brand of MP3 recorder.

Cheers,
slack

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2004, 11:59:47 AM »
I haven't really worked with any mp3 recorders but last year Ken, from Bremerton, was using an Archos Jukebox, I believe, and it seemed to work pretty well. I just did a search and it seems that most of the current Archos models that have recording capabilities also now have video capabilities which certainly must affect pricing and size. There is also the IRiver line which gets quite a bit of discussion over at the IGS forum and they all seem to be happy with them. There, too, I think the models are being upgraded to include video. These are the only ones I've heard of and, as I said, I don't have any actual experience, but at least it gives you a direction to start looking.
All for now.
John C.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 12:00:55 PM by waxwing »
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2004, 12:05:06 PM »
Thanks JohnC - it was Ken's Archos Jukeox that I was trying to remember.

Offline cmr

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2004, 01:49:26 PM »
Thanks all.  I will check out the minidisc site.  I may even consider an ipod. 

Charlie

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2004, 02:44:56 PM »
Hi Charlie,

I think Uncle Bud meant http://minidisco.com? ?lot of good information there on mini-discs,

Actually, I did mean minidisc.org, a minidisc freaks portal as opposed to the store. I think minidisco.com was the store they used to recommend. Whatever, www.minidisc.org is loading for me right now, although it did earlier today.

edited to add: while an iPod does have a voice-recorder add-on, I don't know that this is really good for workshops. Have they introduced something better for recording along the lines of the iRiver or Archos?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 05:32:51 PM by waxwing »

Offline Cleoma

• Howdy!
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2004, 02:24:11 PM »
Sounds like a cool lineup (as usual!)  I think I will try to coordinate with Rich on the mando-fiddle thing, maybe we can teach some of the same pieces.  Any suggestions for what would be good in fiddle or mando class?
Looking forward to seeing some of you there,
Suzy T.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2005, 06:31:20 PM »
Hey, I just noticed the 2005 Faculty is up on the Centrum site. A few names Peter didn't mention. Orville J. is back with us. Looks super, Peter and Phil! Harder than ever to decide which classes to take. Thanks for the extra day.
All for now.
John C.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 06:35:23 PM by waxwing »
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline whigski3

• Hi!
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2005, 07:53:02 PM »
I have never attended this workshop nor been to Port Townsend before.  John C. mentioned above that many workshop attendees rent housing and cook their own meals. Due to a somewhat restricted diet, it is sometimes difficult for me to eat just anywhere.   How easy would it be to rent housing near the workshop so that I could prepare my own meals?    Thank you for any guidance along these lines.

-whigski3
I'm sitting here wondering, will a matchbox hold my clothes...

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2005, 11:28:42 PM »
I found this a bit late, Spend an intimate week with John Cephas Feb. 1-6, 2005 sounds kinda cool.
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2005, 11:47:42 PM »
Looks like the back of Miller's head in the photo. Yes, it does sound like a cool thing - but that's only a few days away! I couldn't have gone anyway - once a year is hard enough to organize.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 11:50:03 PM by FrontPage »
Cheers,
FrontPage

Emma Lee

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2005, 10:38:27 AM »
Hi Suzy T and also John M -

The session in 2004 on "guitar and fiddle duets" was awesome! I hope you can do this again (maybe an expanded version?, also maybe with some easy-ish material participants could try our hands at).

The fiddling in tunes from Andrew & Jim Baxter (KC Railroad Blues; Bamalong Blues) and Clifford Hayes & The Dixieland Jug Blowers (Please Don't Holler Mama; You're Ticklin' Me - Take 1) is really really nice.

The Memphis Jug Band has some really hot fiddling on Ruckus Juice and Chitlins and on Memphis Shakedown but it seems waaaaayyy difficult.

Offline Cleoma

• Howdy!
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2005, 10:49:50 AM »
Hi there,
I too am hoping for at least one more fiddle guitar duet session with John Miller!  And I agree that it would be great if we could squeeze in more than one so we'll see how that falls out.

Thank you for the suggestions, all excellent ones!  Tackling something like Ruckus Juice and Chitlins would be challenging but might be really fun, it depends a little bit on the level of the students.  I'm liking You're Tickling Me a lot too.  And was planning on doing Bamalong Blues which I think I finally found out what that means -- Joyce Cauthen who is an expert on Alabama fiddle music says it is really the "second Babylon" which is apparently a Biblical reference to the Book of Revelation.  From what very little I have read about this, it sounds like we might be in the second Bamalong right now, thanks to George Bush, the World Bank, etc.  Yuck.  Let's fight the power with old-time blues music!!

Sorry for my political rant -- keep those suggestions about blues fiddle repertoire coming!
Suzy T

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2005, 10:56:57 AM »
Hi Emma - I take it you're a fiddler then? I think it would be very cool to get some fiddlers together with the far too many guitar players at PT like myself and play some Sheiks, Baxters, anything! I agree Suzy and John's session last year was great and I look forward to more.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2005, 11:12:15 AM »
To that end I've been promising Grace that I'd work out a couple of the guitar parts John M illuminated and send her tapes she could practice along with. Life has been pretty crazy and I been sidetracked by Blind Willie and Scrapper, but maybe I better get on it so's she's got some time to work some up.
Thanks Emma Lee and UB for the boot in the pants.
All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2005, 11:41:52 AM »
Hi all,
Wow, I'm excited about doing more fiddle/guitar stuff at Port Townsend, Suzy!  Please put me down for at least one session, and with camp being a day longer, maybe we could do two this year.  Wouldn't it be cool to do some tunes with vocals, too, this year like some Sheiks or Carolina Tar Heels stuff, and get people singing?  I am absolutely up for it and will start to scout some good material.  Take care.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Janmarie

• www.janmarieartworks.com
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2005, 02:03:45 PM »
Hey - I'd love to join in on the singing if that's not too forward.  Give me a heads up on the songs so I can be working on them ......and hopefully overcome that shakey-knee shyness.
Jan

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2005, 04:30:08 PM »
That sounds good, Jan.  As we get closer to the event maybe we can let people know what songs they should listen to and be able to take a shot at singing at the workshop.
All best,
Johnm

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2005, 07:40:50 PM »
Perhaps we should be splitting this off into a separate subject but...

I'd be willing (and I would guess a number of others would too) to figure out/learn the guitar parts for any CB guitar/fiddle duets or jug/string band pieces to play with fiddlers who want to try them out at PT, even outside a class situation, just jamming in the Weenie house or 204, as long as my hands hold up at the workshop.  I can already play Stop and Listen half decently - the first version, not the evil twin version that John and Suzy did in the class last year, but easy enough to figure out the slight differences there as well. Bamalong and some of the other Baxters' stuff should be easy enough as well for the guitarists at least. Any number of Mississippi Sheiks tunes would be very fun. "Lonely One In This Town," "Don't Wake It Up" (weird body odor lyrics aside), "Bootlegger's Blues", "Too Long", "Church Bell Blues" (a lot like Overtime Blues so a number of Weenies already can play a lot of it), "Sales Tax". Would also be willing to record a guitar part for a fiddler to practice over as Waxwing suggested (excellent idea, waxy). Could post it on this site. Any suggestions for tunes welcome. Perhaps we can make a list of tunes that guitarists should be ready to play should they encounter a stray fiddler at PT. No idea what's hard or easy for fiddlers so I could be totally off base with any suggestions...

Emma Lee

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2005, 08:19:48 PM »
Wow, this all sounds great!! Uncle Bud - great idea - getting to know tunes in common - and great tune ideas. Speaking as your more basic-level fiddler, I think several of those are quite doable. I'm sure for those experts out there, the more smokin' ones are too.

Hey, waxwing (and UB, and other guitar players), no boot in the pants intended, but wondering if there's a way to put those "play-along-with" recordings up here on Weenie, as mp3's? That way the fiddlers could get a jump start on figuring out where those nice fills go and stuff...

Emma Lee

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2005, 09:50:11 AM »
Hey, Uncle Bud - Silly me, you just did offer to put up play-along mp3s here on Weenie - missed that somehow first read-through. Big yes!! That would be sooooo very much appreciated.? :) :) :)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 05:36:02 PM by waxwing »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2005, 11:39:53 AM »
I'll try and work some stuff up over the next little while and post it (if I can get it right  :P)

In the meantime, I'd recommend all interested parties, both fiddlers and gitfiddlers, check out a few threads from our glorious past here at WC.

The first is a great Back Porch version of Frankie and Kim doing "Lonely One In This Town" here:

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?Itemid=47&?topic=731.0

The second is an excellent discussion of the guitar accompaniment to Lonely One and Walter Vinson's often unusual closed position guitar style for accompanying fiddle, playing in flat keys etc. Plus some discussion of the fiddle parts. All of it here:

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?Itemid=47&?topic=501.0

Last but definitely not least, a very cool version of Peg Leg Howell's Rolling Mill Blues, another splendid fiddle/guitar duet that hasn't been mentioned, also by Frankie and Kim on the Back Porch:

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?Itemid=47&?topic=295.0
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 11:54:53 AM by uncle bud »

Emma Lee

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2005, 04:11:10 PM »
Just heard on the Weenie Juke - the Mississippi Sheiks' Winter Time Blues - very nice fiddle part. Let's add that to the fiddle/gitfiddle duets list!

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal