collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I tell you, all them scounds could play good; I don't know which one was best. I liked that Lonnie - he was the big fat one - I liked his violin playin', but that other one, what played violin and piano, too, and everything, I believe it was Bert. They both played so good, it'd be hard to tell how to judge which one played the best - Houston Stackhouse remembers the Chatmon brothers, The Voice of the Blues

Author Topic: Charley Patton remasters  (Read 4101 times)

Offline MacSpadger

• Howdy!
Charley Patton remasters
« on: February 10, 2018, 04:31:59 AM »
Hi folks, been lurking here a wee while, so, first post.
Can anyone recommend the best remasters for Charley Patton, please?

I have the 3 CDs released by Document Records, and the 5CD "complete recordings" box set from JSP. The JSP box set is basically the same tracks as the 3 cd's from Document Records, but with 2 extra CDs added featuring Willie Brown, Son House, basically stuff I already have. All these recordings feature some surface noise in varying degrees.

I bought the Definitive Charley Patton boxset from Catfish, it has a lot of the surface noise removed, but somehow the dynamics of the music have suffered, it can come across as a wee bit "wooly" in tone, to my ears anyway.

I have had Charley Patton - Founder of the Delta Blues 1929-1934 on Yazoo recommended as best, but can't find it anywhere, (I live in Scotland), online sources seem to suggest it's out of print.

Any advice welcome. Thanks.

Offline JRO

Re: Charley Patton remasters
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 06:19:00 AM »
Hi MacSpadger,

And wellcome to weenieforum. I can't say which one of th Charlie Patton remasters are best sounding. But you can check  the Discogs page of Charlie Patton where you can find lots of The Founder of the Delta Bluse versions for example. Click the link. and then clic the For Sale link.

Happy hunting!

Offline Lcgrady

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 07:27:31 AM »
 :-\mMacSpadger,

I?ve been lurking on the forum as well. I?ve been listening to these Patton recordings for nearly forty years, first on vinyl then on CD.  In my opinion the best sounding transfers are on two Yazoo CDs:  The Best of Charlie Patton, and Primeval Blues, Rags and Gospel Songs. The transfers were done by Richard Nevins. There is still surface noise - given the condition of the originals that?s a given - but the vocals and guitar on these versions are the most natural and ?musical? sounding I?ve heard for Patton. The remastering of 78s is an art form and the experiences of the listener are very subjective. Some people don?t like any surface noise and others hate the lack of dynamics that you?ve detected in the Catfish set.  I?ve always found the lack of dynamics much more grating than the surface noise. I admire the work of Richard Nevins and think he?s found a nearly perfect balance between surface noise and preserving the musicality of the performances.  You can listen to samples on Amazon to judge for yourself.  The two CDs will give you 46 tracks - not quite all of his work.

Edit:  following up on a suggestion below, here is an Amazon link created through the Weenie Campbell search box that will retrieve both of the Yazoo CDs I mentioned:

https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&Submit=Go&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0&index=blended&keywords=charlie%20patton%20yazoo&link_code=qs&tag=weeniecampbel-20

Lee
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 12:34:53 PM by Lcgrady »

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 08:36:03 AM »
There is usually a link on each page to amazon whereby Weeniecampbell gets a small commision but I can't find it. Has it been deactivated or is it just my browser?

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 08:49:09 AM »
Welcome McSpadger and Lcgrady!

In addition to the two Yazoo CDs, I would add any of the remasterings on the Tefteller Blues Images calendar CDs. Richard Nevins did quite a few of them, if I'm not mistaken, and the folks doing them now are following in his footsteps and using the techniques that the American Epic folks used as well. There are several tracks scattered throughout the CDs.
Chris

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 11:47:20 AM »

Offline MacSpadger

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 08:27:21 AM »
Thanks guys, this info has been great. Have managed to download the Yazoo Charley Patton - Founder Of The Delta Blues from Amazon. Sounds great. I've never heard of the Tefteller Blues Images calendar CDs, I'll check them out.

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 10:12:42 AM »
Thanks guys, this info has been great. Have managed to download the Yazoo Charley Patton - Founder Of The Delta Blues from Amazon. Sounds great. I've never heard of the Tefteller Blues Images calendar CDs, I'll check them out.

a world of magic and wonder awaits you :)

Offline MacSpadger

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 03:02:41 AM »
Gah. Googled Tetfeller Blues Images. Looks amazing. Unfortunately I live in Scotland, and postage and import taxes make it a no go. Ordered a wee Robert Crumb related item from the USA last year. It was $9.99. I ended up paying $38.00 by the time it arrived. A Memphis Minnie T Shirt ordered from Keep On Truckin' cost me the equivalent of more than $65 dollars by the time it got here. None of this is the vendors fault, it's all government taxes. American guitars cost a fortune here too, due to import taxes and other taxes such as VAT.

I like having the actual discs, but will go for downloads as I avoid such taxes.

But that Tetfeller Blues Images site, it's like someone gotten their hands on everything I like in the world, and put it all in the one place. Almost wish I'd never seen it. Almost................

Offline Nicolas Dussart

• Salut les mecs !
    • some concerts photos
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 04:12:09 AM »
Gah. Googled Tetfeller Blues Images. Looks amazing. Unfortunately I live in Scotland, and postage and import taxes make it a no go. Ordered a wee Robert Crumb related item from the USA last year. It was $9.99. I ended up paying $38.00 by the time it arrived. A Memphis Minnie T Shirt ordered from Keep On Truckin' cost me the equivalent of more than $65 dollars by the time it got here. None of this is the vendors fault, it's all government taxes. American guitars cost a fortune here too, due to import taxes and other taxes such as VAT.

I like having the actual discs, but will go for downloads as I avoid such taxes.

But that Tetfeller Blues Images site, it's like someone gotten their hands on everything I like in the world, and put it all in the one place. Almost wish I'd never seen it. Almost................

You could order it through Amazon.com :
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074ZXYHR3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I live in France, I paid $23.97 (21.02?) including shipping, and got it around 10 days later.

Offline Lyndvs

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 04:13:21 AM »
I just ordered the 2018 Blues Images Calendar from Amazon Uk.?21.00.
They have older calendars still available too.No need to import.

Offline MacSpadger

• Howdy!
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 04:36:16 AM »

You could order it through Amazon.com :
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074ZXYHR3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I live in France, I paid $23.97 (21.02?) including shipping, and got it around 10 days later.
I just ordered the 2018 Blues Images Calendar from Amazon Uk.?21.00.
They have older calendars still available too.No need to import.

Waaah, amazing, will check it out right now! :) Thanks folks!

***EDIT*** Just bought one for ?21.00  :D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 04:40:29 AM by MacSpadger »

Offline DerZauberer

• I woke up this morning... (well I hope I did)
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 08:36:34 AM »
As far as the original question goes, indeed the "American Epic" and Tefteller Remasters, along with the excellent "Rise and Fall of Paramount Records" masters sound pretty awesome and give the majority of the recorded output.

I would still LOVE to see a complete edition with these techniques, and would almost die if the classic Son House and Willie Brown tracks (including the 1941/42 Lomax Sessions) received the same treatment. While there are many decent transfers out there, it would be great to have them all on the same level and consistency as we have them for the Robert Johnson stuff.
"The blues is not a plaything like some people think they are." - Son House

Offline btasoundsradio

• the artist formerly known as powerlinehorizon
    • BTA Sounds Radio: Podcast of Obscure Musics
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 05:52:14 PM »
I know I'm not the ultimate authority, but I have managed to cull the ultimate complete recordings of CP pulled from (in my opinion) the best remasters. Most tracks are from the most recent Yazoo sets, a few are from the JSP, a few are from the Revenant box, and the rest are from the Tefteller Calendar cd's. The Tefteller's are the missing links because they contain more recently discovered cleaner copies of Patton tracks. His remasters from cleaner copies of "Pea Vine", "Mean Black Cat", "Frankie and Albert" etc. are essential. Pea Vine being the most noticable. It's almost as if Patton is in the room with you, it's scary. The Patton box has some of the most obscure of the Patton tracks which sound awful i.e. "Jim Lee pt 2" and "Joe Kirby". I had to put a few of them up against the JSP's. I personally think the Yazoo remaster of "Down The Dirt Road" is still superior to the recent American Epic, which I think sounds a bit too quiet and less full. If anyone is interested in my full list, I can post it or email me at geffstiubhairt@gmail.com and let me know what you think.
-Cheers (a Patton fanatic)
PS Just got that full length poster of Patton from Blues Images, startling addition to my wall.
Charlie is the Father, Son is the Son, Willie is the Holy Ghost

Offline MacSpadger

• Howdy!
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 03:09:09 AM »
I have now been in contact with the people that do the whole Blues Images thing. Importing stuff to Scotland is very expensive, but I think I'll be spending a fair bit of money! I have the Yazoo Patton releases too now, absolutely great stuff.
I now have the Document Records complete Patton 3 cds, the Catfish Records complete Patton 3 cds, and two Yazoo Patton CDs. Cannae' get enough o' that Charley Patton!  >:D

Thanks to all for your help/assistance.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal