collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
They call me Lazy, God knows I'm only tired - Lazy Lester

Author Topic: New Blind Blake  (Read 9059 times)

Brimhoff

New Blind Blake
« on: February 05, 2008, 04:56:39 PM »
Maybe this was already mentioned and I just missed it but on Old Hat records homepage they mention a lost Blind Blake recording being found in 2007...

http://www.oldhatrecords.com
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 06:19:02 PM by andrew »

Offline CF

Re: New Blind Blake
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 05:29:47 PM »
O man, this is so great! The songs sound great (tune-wise). . . . I can't believe this stuff keeps coming to light.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 06:19:23 PM by andrew »
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 06:43:50 PM »
Astonishing. I don't think this news has appeared in any of the usually suspect places. Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Brimhoff.

People should follow the link to the story at Old Hat, and for short mp3 samples of the two songs, Night and Day Blues, and Sun to Sun.

The record will appear on a new Old Hat release, Trunk Full O' Blues, along with other records found in the collection. They apparently include Charley Jordan, Buddy Moss, Tampa Red, Memphis Minnie, Bessie Jackson, Leroy Carr & Scrapper Blackwell, Casey Bill, Georgia Tom, and Daddy Stovepipe & Mississippi Sarah, among others.

Offline rjtwangs

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 06:46:54 PM »
WOW the sound here is wonderful, his guitar sounds incredible. I can't wait for that cd!!

RJ
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 06:56:39 PM by rjtwangs »

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 06:52:52 PM »
<guitar nerd mode>

Cool...  Night & Day Blues is in G, but Sun To Sun is played out of A.  Comparatively rare for Blind Blake.

</guitar nerd mode>

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 07:07:10 PM »
I need to update the Blind Blake guitar positions and keys file.  :P

Good on Old Hat. Couldn't happen to a better company. For a label that has only five releases under their belt so far (all great - OK, I don't have the Joe Bussard disc but I've heard it's great ;)), it's encouraging to to see how many releases they have planned:

"Old Hat Records is launching a series of anthologies that will highlight the traditional music of the state of North Carolina. The first CD of the series, entitled In The Pines: Old-Time Music of the Tar Heel State, 1926-1935, is due for release early in 2008. Second in the series will be Gastonia Gallop: Music of Gaston County, NC, 1927-1931, followed by Crazy Barn Dance: String Bands and Brother Teams on North Carolina Radio, 1933-1941. Other CDs will encompass the state?s pioneer recording artists (including Samantha Bumgarner and Eva Davis); traditional gospel music (including the groundbreaking recordings of the Biddleville Quintette); and artists under the management of entrepreneur James Baxter Long (including Lake Howard, Blind Boy Fuller, and Sonny Terry). Together, these anthologies will create the most comprehensive survey ever assembled of North Carolina?s vernacular music of the prewar era. Stay tuned for updates."
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 09:54:57 PM by andrew »

Brimhoff

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 07:21:27 PM »
Considering how many releases they put out since 1999 (only 5) it will take them till 2015 to finish those upcoming projects they have listed on their site   :P  Seriously though Old Hat is like the opposite of jsp they might not release much but each one is a 5 star effort.  Hopefully it wont be too long before they put out these Blake tracks.

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 01:45:44 AM »
WOW!

Fans of contemporary musicians always have the next release form their favourite artist to look forward to. 

One of the rather sad oddities of having favourite artists who died decades ago is that you know that you are never going to hear anything new from them. 

Then, once in a while, something like this comes along.  Its great!

Has anyone told Ari?!

Offline unezrider

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 02:20:18 PM »
hello friend,
thanks for the info! i wasn't aware any new recordings had come to light. if i'm not mistaken, i had read in the 'the stuff dreams are made of' booklet, that a couple blake sides were still out there somewhere, but never found yet. this is truely great news. & those compilations sound real cool, too. ( i can't wait for the bumgarner & davis disc). hats off to old hat (sounds like a bad joke.. ;))
chris
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline outfidel

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 02:46:50 PM »
This is so cool. Old Hat does great stuff -- "Down in the Basement" and "Good for What Ails You" are both terrific compilations
Support musicians in need - join the Music Maker Relief Foundation

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 03:54:45 PM »
hello friend,
thanks for the info! i wasn't aware any new recordings had come to light. if i'm not mistaken, i had read in the 'the stuff dreams are made of' booklet, that a couple blake sides were still out there somewhere, but never found yet. this is truely great news. & those compilations sound real cool, too. ( i can't wait for the bumgarner & davis disc). hats off to old hat (sounds like a bad joke.. ;))
chris

I think there's still one Blake record to be found -- one side's called Miss Emma Liza or something like that -- can't remember the other side.
Chris

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 06:27:47 PM »
According to the Paramount discography I posted a link to yesterday, the record is another from the 13000 series:

BLIND BLAKE     MISS EMMA LIZA     L1272     13115A  -     -     01/??/32
BLIND BLAKE    DISSATISFIED BLUES    L1267    13115B    -    -    01/??/32

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 07:27:41 PM »
Thanks, Andrew.

downthedirtroad

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 07:39:04 PM »
Interestingly enough, John Tefteller included a advertisement for this one missing Paramount 78 "Miss Emma Liza" in the 2006 BluesImages calendar.  I remember it portraying some soldiers marching in unison or something like that.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 03:52:18 AM »
I remember it portraying some soldiers marching in unison or something like that.

Thanks for remembering that.  You've got the wrong image, though.  You're thinking of the ad for Blind Lemon Jefferson's "War Time Blues", which is in the same calendar.  The ad for "Miss Emma Liza" is one of the small insets on the September page.  It shows a woman standing coquettishly near the gate in a picket fence and a man coming out of his front door looking at her, with an inset photo of Blind Blake.  The ad only mentions the "Miss Emma Liza" side of the disk.  I'm surprised Paramount was still doing print ads in  1932.         

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal