collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Ain't but one way to play the blues and that's play the blues. You can't mix Lionel Hampton in with the blues. You can't mix the Cream in with the blues. You can't mix Joe and the Fish in with the blues. You can't mix the Rolling Stones in with the blues. Now if you want to play something by the Rolling Stones, you go rehearse their stuff and go play it by them. But you won't be playin no blues - Albert King

Author Topic: (Unpublished) Willie Brown Song from 1941  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Randy Meadows

• Randy Meadows
(Unpublished) Willie Brown Song from 1941
« on: January 16, 2013, 04:36:57 PM »
According to LOC Cards for the Lomax recordings in 1941, There is a test that was never digitized. It remains unpublished. The song is an (Instrumental) by Willie Brown. Listed as Test immediately following "Uncle Sam Done Called" and Before Mrs EC Ball.

4782-a1, a2, and a3 all exist.
 (4782-a4 was never copied)
4782-b1-b3 all exist.

The LOC Number is
4782-a4 (test) -

« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 04:50:08 PM by Randy Meadows »
randymeadows@ymail.com
luvthatzeppelin on Youtube

Offline wreid75

Re: (Unpublished) Willie Brown Song from 1941
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 08:49:44 PM »
Okay, how exactly would one go about getting access to this original recording?  Who has the rights to the other songs done that day?  I would be willing to drive across the country to get this.  Do any of you know?  I know there are many blues researchers that regular this site and your wealth of knowledge and advise would be great appreciated.

Offline jpeters609

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 07:25:39 AM »
The LOC recordings are housed in the Library of Congress and are the property of the U.S. of A. (which means, essentially, they belong to all of us -- well, all of us in the United States, that is). Recordings such as the ones from the Son House sessions exist on the original acetate discs that Alan Lomax and John Work recorded them on. Many of these were transferred over to tape in the 60s and 70s, and it is from these taped transcriptions that most, if not all, of the later reissues sold on LP and CD were derived.

It would be surprising if a track from these sessions has languished without being issued, but it's not impossible (for instance, only recently did Lomax's LOC's film footage of Honeyboy Edwards performing in Clarksdale come to light). To find out, all you need to do is contact the Library of Congress regarding the Library of Congress/Fisk University Mississippi Delta Collection and reference the information on the library card. (Copies of these library cards are largely available for viewing on the LOC site.)

These library cards, however, were not created at the time of the original recordings. They were made later in the 40's as part of the library's filing system and were based on notes written on the acetate sleeves, etc. They are not always accurate! But this one would seem to warrant some investigation, I think.
Jeff

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 08:56:19 AM »
What an intriguing possibility.
Keep us posted, Randy.

Offline CF

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 09:02:15 AM »
Any 'new' music from Willie Brown would be of interest.
PS Don't forget to tag some of these threads so we can refer back to them later (I got this one)
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline jostber

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 10:04:06 AM »
It would be more than great to check out this! Thanks for the research, Randy. Anyone going to the LOC?

Offline jostber

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 04:42:27 AM »
Makes you wonder if there could be more hidden treasures in the LOC archives?

Offline RB

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 05:17:37 AM »
I took a trip to those archives in 1967, was shown around by Joe Hickerson, but I was a little young to have profited very much by the informal inquiry.

I notice that Mr and Mrs Ball were listed next.  Those with solely African American interest may not know how interestings they were.  The song 'Jinny Jinkins' (as listed there, I think it might be 'Jimmy Jenkins' might not be though and my recording of this is not handy at the moment) is pretty well known.

Offline Cleoma

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 01:10:38 PM »
EC and Orna Ball have some truly great songs - 2 that I love are "When I Get Home I'm Gonna Be Satisfied" and "Trials, Troubles, Tribulations"

Offline Randy Meadows

• Randy Meadows
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 03:53:12 PM »
Another interesting one is Son House "Walking Boss"
Since Son House never mentioned this song later in life, I assume it';s atypo....
It must be Walking Blues.
1941-
http://memory.loc.gov/diglib/ihas/loc.afc.afc9999005.34585/default.html
1942-
http://memory.loc.gov/diglib/ihas/loc.afc.afc9999005.18773/default.html
randymeadows@ymail.com
luvthatzeppelin on Youtube

Offline jostber

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 11:59:03 AM »
Another interesting one is Son House "Walking Boss"
Since Son House never mentioned this song later in life, I assume it';s atypo....
It must be Walking Blues.
1941-
http://memory.loc.gov/diglib/ihas/loc.afc.afc9999005.34585/default.html
1942-
http://memory.loc.gov/diglib/ihas/loc.afc.afc9999005.18773/default.html

Looked at the links, and I wonder who wrote sic after the title?

Offline RB

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 05:32:47 AM »
I think that's a good guess about the title, 'Walking Boss,' (and I think that view is shared by the librarian, whoever it was, who annotated the card).

I bought an L of C lp record of House, and Brown,(and Edwards?) and religious songs when I was there that day in 1967.  It's not handy for me to dig out now.  I do recall that I took their full list of what African American recordings available for purchase along with me.

Offline jostber

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 10:46:20 AM »
I think that's a good guess about the title, 'Walking Boss,' (and I think that view is shared by the librarian, whoever it was, who annotated the card).

I bought an L of C lp record of House, and Brown,(and Edwards?) and religious songs when I was there that day in 1967.  It's not handy for me to dig out now.  I do recall that I took their full list of what African American recordings available for purchase along with me.

Would that include the Willie Brown test recording as well?

Offline CF

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 10:52:20 AM »
This clip has been determined to be EC Ball, not our Willie.
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Lastfirstface

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 11:39:20 AM »
I think "Uncle Sam Done Called" was a recording of Leroy Williams possibly backed up by Willie Brown.

Mentioned here:
http://findingaids.loc.gov/db/search/xq/searchMferDsc04.xq?_id=loc.afc.eadafc.af013010&_start=432&_lines=125

And also here:
http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=9012.0

It seems to have been reissued a couple times on vinyl; if you look on Wirz's discography, it was on "Walking Blues" issued by Flyright.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal