collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
She got up this mornin', come-a-tippin' 'cross the floor. Said mama, in her lovin' stockin' feet: "Honey, fare thee, Papa fare the well. I done all in the world I could trying to get along with you - Blind Lemon Jefferson, Stocking Feet Blues

Author Topic: Angels with harps??  (Read 2031 times)

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Angels with harps??
« on: December 12, 2004, 12:29:36 PM »
 :-[ This is inspired by the thread on the Georgia blues: were there any harmonica players on Decatur street??  Does anybody know? I'm not an expert on harmonica players, but there will be somebody (hopefully) in Weenieland who'll know if this  -or something like it- could have happened in real life.....???

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: Angels with harps??
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 12:55:27 PM »
Sounds great, Perfesser. I enjoyed playing duets with a harp player for a while before he left town last year. Drat! Sounds good with the 12. Off the top of my head, Buddy Moss started out playing harp as a teen with Barbecue Bob, I believe.
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 01:25:24 PM »
Sounds great, PS - who's playing which?

Eddie Mapp had a big reputation as a harmonica player - apparently had a big influence on Buddy Moss.  I'm sure something like this happened somewhere along the line in Atlanta!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 01:31:01 PM »
Sounds great PS, and some very nice harp!

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2004, 01:45:40 PM »
Right, Frank, Eddie Mapp. Duh. And I read Red River Blues right before PT and couldn't remember that name. Slip, slip, slippin' away....
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2004, 02:24:56 PM »
Real nice, Prof. Scratchy. I had just been listening to McTell while preparing dinner and was thinking,  "there's one I gotta try on the new 12." Great harp, too.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2004, 02:59:17 PM »
I remember a couple of tunes by Smith & Harper (pseudonyms?) on the Yazoo anthology "Baby, Let Me Lay It On You", and I believe they were from that part of the world.  Really a nice job, as per usual, Scratchy.
All best,
Johnm

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 07:28:29 AM »
Very funky stuff!  So, is that 1st position or cross harp?

tom

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 10:36:30 AM »
Sounds great, PS - who's playing which?

Eddie Mapp had a big reputation as a harmonica player - apparently had a big influence on Buddy Moss.? I'm sure something like this happened somewhere along the line in Atlanta!

That's Fraser Speirs from Glasgow on the moothie (as he would say) - and to answer the query about first or second position, I'd say definitely second , but I'm guessing- they're devilishly secretive these harmonica players! And you can't see where they're putting their fingers/teeth/tongues, so how is it possible to learn in the first place???
I've had a look for a reference to Eddie Mapp and found a sound clip on the Document site - what a fine player! And he seems to have played with just about everybody - apart from BWMcT.Must have some of his stuff somewhere amidst all the CD's, vynil and tapes....need to go and have a look!

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal