collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

I'll vote for Skip - Skip James, on politics

Author Topic: Vigilante Man- and the Porch needs some love...  (Read 422 times)

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
Vigilante Man- and the Porch needs some love...
« on: February 12, 2020, 02:16:21 PM »
The Back Porch has become a little dusty and quiet...  Many seem to post on youtube, or on the acoustic blues pickers channel on FB these days (I certainly do...) but I thought the Weenie Back Porch deserved a bit of love.

So below is a tune I recorded whilst practising tonight.  Woody Guthrie's Vigilante Man- via Ry Cooder and Ben Andrews, and me. 

I wonder if we should have some little project for the Back Porch- some sort of song challenge, or a post for an artists's birthday type thing to give it a shot in the arm?   Any thoughts?

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
Re: Vigilante Man- and the Porch needs some love...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 03:14:23 PM »
OK Simon,

Why not:

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 12:15:39 AM »
Very good call from Norfolk Slim! Who has project ideas? Frankie used to be good at those, but havenít heard from him for a good while, sadly.

Offline harriet

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 07:47:03 AM »
First, compliments to Norfolk Slim for his rendition of Vigilante Man, enjoyed the vocal and the guitar.

Second - just a thought - perhaps a monthly "Work in Progress" with the person who takes the month presenting something they have been working that they feel is presentable,and telling a little bit about why they chose the song, the guitar or other instrument(s) they chose for it, perhaps which version inspired their choice and inviting others to join in with their own for the month.  Sometimes just hearing another member's playing triggers a -"say thanks and here's mine" response.

Just to add, the song could either be a filmed video, or a jpeg with sound from youtube or
 audio from soundcloud.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 08:28:23 AM by harriet »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 09:23:34 AM »
Thanks, Simon and Phil, for the performances.  Since when have you played lefty, Simon?  Do you play left and right-handed?  I know Phil is a southpaw.
I like Harriet's idea of posting works in progress, and I also solicited posts in the thread in the Back Porch, "Covering The Song, Not The Arrangement", where folks could post their own arrangements (not recreations) of Country Blues songs, but it's not generated any posts apart from my initial re-working of Rev. Davis' "Candyman".  I've got a couple I may post there soon.  I like the idea of people showing visually or in sound what they've been up to, musically.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 02:24:57 PM »
Parlourpicker noted the lefty thing on Facebook.  It seems that my new phone has recorded in mirror image!

Offline harriet

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 03:27:58 PM »
John, regards your comment there hasn't been a response to your "Covering The Song, Not The Arrangement", I would like to add that IMHO if there is any project, whatever the topic is decided on, it might be more successful if it followed the "prepopulation" format of the SOTM thread, for it's duration, so that it would be assured of at least one particpant. Perhaps since the community of players is relatively small it could be a 3-4 month project with a twice a month turnover.

In terms of the topic I proposed, that could also be broader so that one person could be demoing a guitar or other instrument, another an improvisation, instrumental version, their own arrangement, singing, etc. - just the cohesive factor would be country blues.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 11:10:02 PM »
Simon, very nice. Vocals are great but you need to be louder in the mix. Excellent work man.

I also (attempt to) play that cooder arrangement, always gets a good response, much to my surprise!

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal