collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
We started out from our parents - it's just a gift that we had in the family. Our mother and father they could both play. And see he was an old musicianer in slavery time. He played for the white folks at square dances and so it was handed down to us - Sam Chatmon

Author Topic: Pete Welding Son House 1966 Down Beat interview  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
Pete Welding Son House 1966 Down Beat interview
« on: January 21, 2016, 06:53:09 AM »
Does anyone here have a transcript of, or link to the famous Pete Welding Son House 1966 Down Beat interview, source of so much mythology?
I've tried the Weenie search function, google etc, with no success.

Offline StoogeKebab

• Howdy!
    • LAW Records
Re: Pete Welding Son House 1966 Down Beat interview
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 04:39:19 AM »
Ah, the ever referenced "He must have sold his soul to the devil to play like that," the numerous citations and references to it make it difficult to google for without turning up a myriad of results without the article itself.
Confident that I'm probably almost definitely the youngest record label owner in my street

Live Acoustic Wollongong - LAW Records

https://www.facebook.com/law.nkjc/

https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/james-r-cooper/id992309035

Offline Stumblin

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 10:39:30 AM »
Ah, the ever referenced "He must have sold his soul to the devil to play like that," the numerous citations and references to it make it difficult to google for without turning up a myriad of results without the article itself.
Indeed. That's why I'm asking here. Anyone?

Offline Stumblin

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 04:54:52 AM »
I'm serious. I'd really like to read the original Welding article, so that I can provide a properly referenced citation for the House quote with some of the surrounding text as context. This is not possible without the original Downbeat article, as the House quote is often cited elsewhere secondhand, but none of the accompanying text is ever (as far as I can see - and believe me, I've searched high and low for this) provided.
I'm convinced that someone here must have a copy. This is not a commercial project, it is simply a matter of filling in some details for completeion of my PhD thesis - I'm not in the business of making money out of anyone's prized collection of blues memorabilia.
Please, if anyone has a copy and access to a scanner, could they message me. The Weenie community is, I realise, my best hope of tracking down this document - it's not available through the university's JSTOR account.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 06:15:47 AM »
Hi Andy,
Have you tried contacting Downbeat directly?  It seems like they would have past issues archived.  You've probably already tried that.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Stumblin

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 07:12:15 AM »
Hi John,
I haven't actually contacted them, although I have tried their archive search, which isn't great.
Figured it'd be easier here, but I'll try to get onto the magazine staff directly.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 08:02:43 AM »
Hi Andy,
Yes, I tried the archive search on-line too, and it accessed only back to 2008.  The search function didn't get there either.  I think talking to someone at the magazine, preferably clerical staff, would be the way to go.
All best,
Johnm

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 08:40:18 AM »
I'd also recommend joining (if you haven't already) The Real Blues Forum on Facebook -- they have a lot of documents stored in a difficult-to-rummage through archive, plus ask, someone there may well have it.
Chris

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 09:05:11 AM »
It appears that The University of Washington library catalog lists v.33 1966 as being available on microfilm. Other libraries should have it in their holdings as well. Submit a request through your school's library for a copy through Inter-Library Loan and they will probably be able to get you a PDF scan or print copy from microfilm.

http://tinyurl.com/hcyznu8

Edited to add: U of Chicago lists it and has a "Scan and Deliver" option:

https://catalog.lib.uchicago.edu/vufind/Record/261358

http://guides.lib.uchicago.edu/chicagojazz

Unless you  have U of Chi access, you'll have to go through your school's library to get it.

And if all else fails, ask Elijah. He probably has a copy.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 09:47:30 AM by Stuart »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal