collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
She used to be beautiful, but she lived her life too fast - Forest City Joe

Author Topic: PAUL  (Read 961 times)

Offline oddenda

PAUL
« on: August 15, 2017, 06:04:46 PM »
I received this e-mail from Michael Roach today. VALE, Paul... you did good work.
pbl

To all blues enthusiasts around the world, our dear friend Paul Hereford Oliver, renowned blues and vernacular architecture scholar, passed away peacefully last night, aged 90 years.

Relatives and friends are invited to attend his funeral service, which will be held in St John?s Chapel at the Oxford Crematorium at Bayswater Road, Headington, Oxford, OX3 9RZ on Saturday, 2nd of September at 11am.
No flowers please, but donations in his memory to the National Asthma Campaign or the Arthritis Research Campaign would be appreciated.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
Re: PAUL
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 04:31:45 PM »
Here's an obituary from the New York Times.

Apparently the Texas blues manuscript is going to be published after all.  :o

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/17/arts/music/paul-oliver-authority-on-the-blues-dies-at-90.html?emc=edit_tnt_20170817&nlid=37987957&tntemail0=y

Pan

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 08:42:30 PM »
Thanks for posting the sad news, Peter. And thanks for the link to the NY Times obituary, Pan. Paul certainly made the field much richer and better owing to his passion and contributions. I remember ordering a copy of The Story of the Blues as a college student and being blown away by the treasure trove of information it contained, as well as by the work that went into doing the necessary research. Rest in peace, Paul. You made the world and the field a better place owing to your passions and talents.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 07:04:30 AM »
I was sorry to read this news. There were few books on Blues available when I became interested in them as a teen ager and Conversations with the Blues and The Story of the Blues were eagerly devoured by me back then. I was very grateful to Paul Oliver and Sam Charters for the window they gave me onto the creation and creators of the music I've now spent more than half a century listening to learning from and playing.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Shovel

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 03:46:40 AM »
Came here to raise a toast to Paul Oliver!  Forever in debt to your priceless research!

Tags: Paul Oliver 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal