collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
When they took me to the studio first - that was Joe McCoy and Mayo Williams - they let me wait about for hours because the studio wasn't free. So I said to myself "What the hell's the use of this; I better go home to see to my customers and give them that moonshine" - Kokomo Arnold, in Paul Oliver's Blues Off the Record

Author Topic: "Shanty Blues"/"Bootlegger's Blues"/"Payday"/"Rabbit On A Log"--SoWtSMY  (Read 859 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Hi all,
I've been thinking about a set of songs that share a beautiful major pentatonic melody. The earliest recorded version of this melody that I can think of occurred in Henry Thomas's "Shanty Blues", the only song in his recorded repertoire for which he played slide, in Vestapol tuning. Here is "Shanty Blues":

Another song recorded using the same melody, and very close to some of the same lyrics is the Mississippi Sheiks' "Bootlegger's Blues". Here is "Bootlegger's Blues":

Yet another song using the same melody, and once again, some similar lyrics, is Mississippi John Hurt's "Payday", the title cut of his first Vanguard album. Here is "Payday", which he played in Vestapol tuning:

Most recently, Alabaman Lonzie Thomas was recorded by George Mitchell playing "Rabbit On A Log" in Vestapol, once again using the shared melody. Here is "Rabbit On A Log":

All of these songs share at least some verses, and I suppose you could make a case for them being one song with each version contributing some verses that the other versions lacked. Can anyone think of other recorded versions of this melody? I keep thinking there must be songs in the Old-Time tradition that use this melody, but nothing is coming to mind for me. I'd be very interested in any other recordings that used this melody, and I hope that if and when folks think of any they'll post them here.

All best,
Johnm

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
Re: "Shanty Blues"/"Bootlegger's Blues"/"Payday"/"Rabbit On A Log"--SoWtSMY
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 01:48:02 PM »
Hi, John,

I can't fine a YouTube video of it, but Willie Ford recorded a version of Pay Day for the Library of Congress in 1940.

In fact, you transcribed the lyrics here: https://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=11272.0

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 02:02:07 PM »
Hi dj,
Thanks for the reminder. I quite like that version, and for whatever reason, the youtube video of it was removed. I know a Weenie member, Larry, (frailer24) recorded a nice version of it which you can listen to at: https://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=11642.msg103325#msg103325.
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 06:23:20 PM by Johnm »

Offline btasoundsradio

• the artist formerly known as powerlinehorizon
    • BTA Sounds Radio: Podcast of Obscure Musics
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 05:34:18 AM »
Charlie is the Father, Son is the Son, Willie is the Holy Ghost

Offline Lignite

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 05:50:30 AM »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 05:51:44 AM »
Hi btasoundsradio,
I don't hear "Sugar Baby" as being the same melody at all. It doesn't sit in the same place in the scale. And it's not a major pentatonic melody. "Skillet Good And Greasy" for sure, thanks Lightnin', and like all the first ones cited it even shares some of the lyrics.
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 05:53:14 AM by Johnm »

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 06:25:14 AM »
J.W. Warren's Rabbit On A Log is in this song family.

Offline RobBob

• Blues is truth.
Here's a North Carolina version.

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
Hi dj,
Thanks for the reminder. I quite like that version, and for whatever reason, the youtube video of it was removed. I know a Weenie member, Larry, (frailer24) recorded a nice version of it which you can listen to at: https://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=11642.msg103325#msg103325.
All best,
Johnm
John, I did my best with a guitar fighting me every which-way! Rather saddened that the original was pulled, as I think it best to check the original when possible.
That's all she wrote Mabel!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal