collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Jack's house was sittin' in a old cemetary... He used to tell me, 'Boy, sometimes when I be out here, I have them jokers cuttin' up out there in them graveyards.' 'What you be doin' Jack?' 'Boy, playin' that guitar and havin' a durn good time out there' - Jack Owens, remembered by Jimmy Holmes, Living Blues #137

Author Topic: SOTM - November: One Dime Blues  (Read 2010 times)

Offline DavidCrosbie

• Howdy!
Re: SOTM - November: One Dime Blues
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2018, 08:12:07 PM »
. It was actually cobbled together by Woody Guthrie out of One Dime and a chorus he probably borrowed from Leadbelly.
The Hey, hey, hey, hey chorus features on Leadbelly's See See Rider. This was taken up by Sonny Terry

Quote from: Prof Scratchy
Sonny's lyrics reveal indebtedness to Leadbelly, with the tag line 'Hey, hey, hey, hey'.
https://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=11366.msg100326#msg100326
Chris Barber may have got New York Town Blues from Sonny, who had sung it with Woody Guthrie. Just a possibility, but Chris did try to learn from real bluesmen, and at least once  booked Sonny and Brownie to tour with his band. And the singing on New York Town Blues is how the band sound when they copy Sonny and Brownie.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: SOTM - November: One Dime Blues
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 04:53:53 AM »
From John Cowley's assessment of the Leadbelly LoC recordings which I have been reading and would recommend. Thanks to Bunker Hill for posting the link originally:

I'm All Out And Down is related to the recording Lovin' Babe made in 1929 by Ragtime Texas? (Henry Thomas)

Tags: SOTM 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal