collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Says I love you woman, love your husband too. Have to love your husband to get to be wit you - Charley Jordan, Hunkie Tunk Blues

Author Topic: left hand pinky development/strengthening  (Read 742 times)

Offline Cartouche

• tombstone hand/graveyard mind
left hand pinky development/strengthening
« on: April 02, 2012, 03:55:09 PM »
I've been fingerpicking for about 9 months now, and I'm struggling a bit with my fretting pinky. On songs like Spike Driver's Blues and Mama, Your Papa Cares For You where there's a lot of pinky action (esp. the latter), I often wind up on the wrong string but the right fret, like playing Bb when I should be on D, and vice versa. I guess I should mention that I don't look at the guitar as I play.

The hammering pinky on the Cotten song is a bit tough too, as I just don't have the same authority with the pinky hammer-ons vs. the other 3 fingers. (This does seem to be improving.)

I'm sticking with it, but wondering...any special exercises I should do to improve, or is it just a matter of sticking to it and eventually the muscle memory and strength kick in?

Thanks,
Marc
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 03:56:40 PM by Cartouche »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: left hand pinky development/strengthening
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 04:19:53 PM »
Hi Marc,
Those are really good songs to work on if you want to get your pinky under control.  I have a couple of ideas that may help--
   * Make sure you strike the string very firmly with the right hand on the note that precedes the hammer.  If the string is vibrating well, you won't have to use undue force with the pinky to wind up with an audible hammered note.
   * Practice slowly and make sure the pinky is poised directly above and fairly low above the desired string immediately prior to the hammer.  Lots of hammers with the pinky are missed due to trying to bring the finger in from too far of a distance.

If you combine the strong picking of the note that starts the hammer and keeping the pinky close and positioned well, and work to make a habit of those two approaches, you should notice some improvement soon.
All best,
Johnm 

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 06:03:31 PM »
My thoughts on this were pinky independence and control improves with practice. You can prove this by putting down the instrument and stretching out all the digits of your fretting hand. Starting at the thumb attempt to move them independently from each other, dipping them and curling them at the joints. I guess some musicians might be are more genetically disposed to be able to gain control of the outer edge of their hand but in my own case it gets progressively worse as I go from the thumb; the adjacent finger closer to the thumb tends to move more the further away you get from the thumb.

This probably makes sense from an evolutionary point of view. Practice though, both with and without the instrument, will definitely improve this, because the brain will attempt to build new neural pathways to support a new need, cf Oliver Sacks. Playing scales with all fingers might be beneficial, and also give you the other benefits. I should probably take my own advice.

Offline Cartouche

• tombstone hand/graveyard mind
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 04:37:23 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, fellas. I'm using John's tips while playing, and trying Rivers' pinky calisthenics while listening to music or watching a movie. I have to hold my ring finger still to get the pinky to do curls independently!

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal