collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
For "Snowing And Raining", both Alec Seward and Louis Hayes were playing out of A position in standard tuning. Slim starts out stating his problem, and Jelly offers no sympathy, as per usual. They worked so well this way, and they continue to alternate verses once they start singing. Most of their cuts are pretty short, and they remind me of episodes of "The Beverly Hillbillies" in that they don't so much end, as they do stop - JohnM, Guitar Slim & Jelly Belly lyrics thread

Author Topic: Is Bud Spires still alive?  (Read 2503 times)

Offline JohnLeePimp

Is Bud Spires still alive?
« on: March 07, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
The harmonica player who accompanied Jack Owens
...so blue I shade a part of this town.

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Is Bud Spires still alive?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 11:05:41 AM »
He was still performing in 1999 two years after Jack Owens's death. So that'll narrow down the search for a death notice/obit. He'd be 80, or thereabouts.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 12:07:57 PM »
He was still around, though apparently not in good health, when this article was published in 2003:

http://www.bluefrontbluesroom.org/Bentonia.htm

Offline JohnLeePimp

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 12:17:40 PM »
He was still performing in 1999 two years after Jack Owens's death. So that'll narrow down the search for a death notice/obit. He'd be 80, or thereabouts.

...yeah, well his name's Benjamin "Blind Bud" Spires, and there's no mention of his death online (My only source of "research")

But I did find out Arthur Big Boy Spires was recently grouped with McClennan and Petway in this blues trail marker ceremony thing

http://www.visitmississippi.org/uploads/docs/cities/Abbeville/Tommy%20McClennan%20Blues%20Trail%20Release%202-13-12.pdf

..I sent an email to Jim O'Neal asking about it - though it's likely that if he were alive he would've been invited to the event

also I believe that the magnificent Jimmy Holmes might have an idea about him - but I can't find his email  ::)
...so blue I shade a part of this town.

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 03:14:52 AM »
I think he is otherwise I would've read about it in Block magazine. They always report all the deaths in the blues community.

Anyone aware of Otis Rush's condition? Bunker?

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 08:05:19 PM »
He recorded a few tracks in Nov 2005 for Broke & Hungry on a release titled Back to Bentonia.
Cheers,
FrontPage

Offline Jonna

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 12:49:42 PM »
Bud Spires is still alive, he is cousin to a good friend of mine here in California.

Offline crawlinkingsnake

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 06:42:46 PM »
Saw Bud Spires summer of 2011 in Indianola. Didn't talk with him but did chat with Jimmy "Duck" Holmes.

Far as I know Otis Rush is still alive but not at all well.

Offline killerblues

• Killer Blues
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 07:08:48 AM »
Yes Bud spires is still alive. Ivisited him this spring at his home in Bentonia, MS

Offline westside ryan

• Howdy!
    • Westside Ryan
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
Otis Rush is still alive.  He suffered a stroke and basically stopped performing.  I know 'cuz my friend Marty was his keyboard player.

Offline crawlinkingsnake

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 03:18:15 PM »
Been wanting to do an article about Bud Spires. And glad to hear he's still living. But oes anyone know his birth date? I can't find it anywhere.....

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 11:47:19 PM »
Been wanting to do an article about Bud Spires. And glad to hear he's still living. But oes anyone know his birth date? I can't find it anywhere.....
The information can be found in David Evan's notes to the LP It Must Have Been The Devil:Mississippi Country Blues by Jack Owens & Bud Sipres (Testament T-2222, May 1971) - Benjamin "Bud" Spires, 20 May 1931, Yazoo County, MS son of Arthur "Big Boy" Spires. A lengthy feature by Evans on the pair can also be found in his Ramblin' column in Blues Revue 12, Spring 1994, pps 15-17 where there's a photo of Owen's and Spires taken in 1969.

I wouldn't mind betting that Evans probably has unpublished Spires info/photos.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 12:15:27 AM by Bunker Hill »

Offline crawlinkingsnake

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 05:29:54 AM »
The information can be found in David Evan's notes to the LP It Must Have Been The Devil:Mississippi Country Blues by Jack Owens & Bud Sipres (Testament T-2222, May 1971) - Benjamin "Bud" Spires, 20 May 1931, Yazoo County, MS son of Arthur "Big Boy" Spires. A lengthy feature by Evans on the pair can also be found in his Ramblin' column in Blues Revue 12, Spring 1994, pps 15-17 where there's a photo of Owen's and Spires taken in 1969.

I wouldn't mind betting that Evans probably has unpublished Spires info/photos.

thanks Bunker Hill! This is a good start

Offline crawlinkingsnake

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 09:02:10 AM »
Second hand information, but coming from a very reliable source, on Saturday Dec 5.  He is in pretty poor health and has been in the hospital for a couple of weeks with infection.

Will try to find out more soon..........

Offline crawlinkingsnake

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 11:33:47 AM »
Finally completed article on Bud Spires. Not an easy task and a little lengthy.

check pomeroyblues.org

and big thanks to all who helped with input!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal