collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
All deep things are song. It seems somehow the very central essence of us, song; as if all the rest were but wrappages and hulls! - Thomas Carlyle

Author Topic: I AM LOVING ME SOME BO CARTER  (Read 1442 times)

Offline obrigadotony

• Howdy!
I AM LOVING ME SOME BO CARTER
« on: June 16, 2015, 05:51:50 PM »
I have been diving deep into Bo Carter lately.  Really enjoying this wonderful musician.  So unique.
I got turned on to Bo by hearing "Ways like a Craw Fish."

I'm currently learning "My Baby" from John Miller's SGGW lesson and will be purchasing the direct download soon.

The music is so unique....I was ready to get into another artist after listening to Patton-Son House-Robert Johnson-MJH most of the time.

Can anyone recommend any good compilations?  I'm currently listening to his complete recordings and made a playlist based on John's SGGW lesson plus "I want you to know", "Ways like a Crawfish", "All around Man" and my personal favourite "Old Devil"
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 05:54:15 PM by obrigadotony »

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
Re: I AM LOVING ME SOME BO CARTER
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 05:37:05 AM »
Might as well go straight to the 5 volume Document Records series cause every song by Bo is a winner.
A good compilation is Banana In Your Fruit Basket : Red Hot Blues, 1931-1936 . But it still has some major omissions.

I'm currently learning "Old Devil" from Woody Mann's DVD Art Of Acoustic Blues Guitar - Handful Of Riffs. Not quite like Carter played it but close enough.

Offline Mike Billo

• Howdy!
    • Mike Billo
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 06:57:47 AM »

I give the highest possible recommendation to JSP's 4 CD box set "Bo Carter and the Mississippi Sheiks"
It will be the best 25 bucks you've ever spent

http://www.amazon.com/Bo-Carter-Mississippi-Sheiks-The/dp/B006CLHARW

Offline joe paul

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 07:59:28 AM »
I like the JSP box set too, but if you just want concentrated Bo Carter, my favourite is the other collection on Yazoo : Bo Carter : Twist it, Babe  1931-1940

http://www.yazoorecords.com/1034.htm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 08:33:19 AM »
Hi all,
I offer private instruction in Bo's music, and have currently transcribed and offer lessons on 23 of Bo's songs in addition to those covered on my Bo Carter instructional video, including "Cigarette Blues", Get Back Old Devil", "Pretty Baby", "All Around Man", "Let's Get Drunk Again" and many others.  For the full list of songs offered, go to:  http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html .
All best,
Johnm

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 01:31:15 PM »
Hi all,
I offer private instruction in Bo's music, and have currently transcribed and offer lessons on 23 of Bo's songs in addition to those covered on my Bo Carter instructional video, including "Cigarette Blues", Get Back Old Devil", "Pretty Baby", "All Around Man", "Let's Get Drunk Again" and many others.  For the full list of songs offered, go to:  http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html .
All best,
Johnm

How about a Bo Carter Volume 2. DVD, John?!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 01:42:13 PM »
I'd rather sell the lessons privately, Harry.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 03:34:15 PM »
I think Bo Carter's Advice is an excellent compilation of his.

Offline jpeters609

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 07:45:06 PM »
I second the choice of "Bo Carter's Advice" (on the Catfish label - put of print but still obtainable). Fewer hokum/risqu? tunes and more "straight blues" on this one (as far as that may be possible with Bo, anyway), which is refreshing. Good sound quality, too.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 06:10:24 AM by jpeters609 »
Jeff

Offline Chezztone

• Hey!
    • Steve Cheseborough 1920s-30s-style blues
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 12:27:37 PM »
Congrats on discovering the wonderful music of Bo Carter. I recommend all the Yazoo volumes except Banana in Your Fruit Basket (great cover but its focus on a certain type of lyric makes it an unbalanced and less-than-stellar sampling of Carter's enormous and varied output) for starters. Then if you want to hear 'em all, move on to the Documents or JSP box. Carter also played on some of the Mississippi Sheiks recordings, but most of those are in a different style from what you are probably looking for as you get into Carter's solo material.
And if you live near Portland, Oregon, or ever get out this way, contact me if you want to attend my Blues & Beer Class (I'll make sure we cover a Carter number if I know you're coming) or schedule some private Carter-centric instruction! Cheers and have fun with it.

Offline One-Eyed Ross

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 08:34:20 PM »
I gotta get that DVD of John's on Bo....  But, honestly, if I could find all of Sam's stuff, I'd prefer listening to it.  What I've been able to hear of Sam's stuff is just so good...
SSG, USA, Ret

She looked like a horse eating an apple through a wire fence.

Offline jostber

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2015, 12:28:05 PM »
This CD is also a great one with several Carter songs:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal