collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Some folks say the Big Bill Blues ain't bad. Musn't have been the Big Bill Blues I had - Big Bill Broonzy, Big Bill Blues

Author Topic: Bo Carter.  (Read 6784 times)

LoneWolf

Bo Carter.
« on: February 08, 2007, 07:01:19 AM »
God, I love this man... Whenever I'm feeling bad, all I need to do is to put a Bo Carter record, and I'm ok. Bless you Bo!!

chipmonk doug

Re: Bo Carter.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 07:47:32 AM »
What LoneWolf said.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 11:25:13 AM »
And lest we forget here's how Paul Oliver reminded folk of Bo's existence in 1960:

"Sharing a corner in the bare, shot-gun building on South 4th Street where Will Shade lived, was an ailing, blind, light-skinned man whom the occupants knew only as Old Man. By a lucky hunch I guessed he might be Bo Carter and the sick man brightened to hear his name. At first he could hardly hold down the strings of his heavy steel guitar with its worn fingerboard. But he slowly mastered it and in a broken voice, that mocked the clear and lively singing on his scores of recordings under his own name and with the Mississippi Sheiks, he recalled incidents from his varied life and some of the songs that had made him one of the most famous of blues singers. Baby When You Marry he had recorded nearly thirty years before (OK 8888) in 1931 and in the years since he had worked on medicine shows, farmed and begged." (Conversation With The Blues p. 85)

Paul's iconic photo of Bo seated holding his guitar upright on his left leg was taken at that location. Much used, rarely credited.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 11:50:32 AM »

Paul's iconic photo of Bo seated holding his guitar upright on his left leg was taken at that location. Much used, rarely credited.

Yes, an astonishing photo. Was the photo on the Document Bo Carter vol 5 taken at the same time? It looks to be. (Attached)

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 11:59:25 AM »
Yes and I believe there are others that remain unpublished. Taken July 20th 1960.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 11:59:47 AM »
I sometimes think of starting a thread titled "What I've Learned From Weenie Campbell", and the top item on the list is that I've finally learned to appreciate Bo Carter.  When I was in high school, a friend had a homemade reel-to-reel tape of country blues, and one song on it was Bo singing "Banana In Your Fruit Basket".  For some reason, I hated that song, and for 35 years or so I avoided Bo Carter.  When I found Weenie Campbell, there was Bo on the Juke, and I was amazed to find that he was a fine singer and player.  I regret all those years when I'd do anything to avoid listening to him.   

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 12:16:25 PM »
I think Yazoo and their two albums were instrumental in the "rejuvination" of Bo Carter in the eyes (and ears) of country blues fans.

That first LP was rarely off my turntable, the selection of tracks were a perfect cross section of the talents of the man. The number of sceptical folk I would play the record to who then experienced a "Road to Damascus" (he's not samey or boring at all) and purchased the LP themselves was gratifying.  ;D

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 01:58:58 PM »
Paul Oliver played excerpts from his recordings of Bo in 1960 at an EBA event several years ago. Whilst they were only a shadow of his 30's  recordings, they were recognisably Bo, especially the playing - however, I think his decision not to release them is correct as they would have nothing more than a curiosity value and add nothing to Bo's reputation. 

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 11:59:54 PM »
I would agree with that, quit while you are ahead. Some time ago I heard a recording of Ellingtons great drummer Sonny Greer, when it should have been well past the end of his career - really very sad and better not released.
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 11:54:09 AM »
Paul Oliver played excerpts from his recordings of Bo in 1960 at an EBA event several years ago.
Somewhere I have an inventory of Oliver's 70 reel-to-reel tapes of songs, interviews etc he recorded on that trip. It's mind blowing, there's even one that he recorded of a radio broadcast that was coming out of his his car radio from the Fort Worth & Dallas Network - Little Walter, Howling Wolf, Sonny Boy Williamson and Bo Diddley including all the commercials and such like. Being perverse those I'd really like to hear are the two reels of interview with Sterling Brown.

I guess these tapes no longer reside in the basement of Exeter University Library but have been housed in the new Blues Archive in Gloucester.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 11:55:49 AM by Bunker Hill »

Offline Michael Kuehn

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 07:25:29 AM »
I was listening to Bo Carter's "I Get the Blues" (1935) this morning and it really made me smile. What a gem of a song. It seems so out of place with the rest of his music from the same period -- very sophisticated. And a killer melody. Just had to mention that.

Mike

Offline CF

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 07:39:38 AM »
I found this add on the Old Hat page I believe . . . is this well known? I've never seen it before . . .
& is it just me or does Bo look a little like Charlie Patton here?
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 07:50:02 AM »
Hi all,
Apropos of your observation, cheapfeet, Sam Chatmon claimed that his father, Henderson Chatmon, was also the father of Charlie Patton.  If that was the case, it would go a long ways toward explaining why Bo and Charlie looked like each other!
All best,
Johnm

Offline CF

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 08:08:46 AM »
Yeah John I knew there was supposed to be a family connection, I just never noticed the resemblance until I saw this picture . . . & I forgot that it was such a close paternal tie. I'd have to believe Sam was right based on the similarities in this Bo photo & the sole Patton photo. Man, that was one helluva talented family! Jackson 5 eat your heart out! 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 08:11:26 AM by cheapfeet »
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 08:33:37 AM »
To be fair, it's also possible that Sam was wrong and Charley's father had indulged in some "extracurricular activity".  But it sure looks like Bo's ears and Charley's share some DNA.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 03:05:36 PM by dj »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal